With enactment of the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014, CMS is examining the implications of the ICD-10 provision and will provide guidance to providers and stakeholders soon. This provision in the statute reads as follows: “The Secretary of Health and Human Services may not, prior to October 1, 2015, adopt ICD-10 code sets as the standard for codes sets under section 1173 (c) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1320d-2 (c)) and section 162.1002 of title 45, Code of Federal Regulations.”
CMS eHealth University
CMS eHealth University, a resource to help providers understand, implement, and successfully participate in ICD-10 and other CMS eHealth programs, features a full curriculum of materials and information, all in one location. The education modules are organized by level, from beginner to advanced, and simplify complex information in a variety of formats, including fact sheets, guides, videos, checklists, webinar recordings, and more.
As part of eHealth University, CMS is offering resources to help you prepare for the October 1, 2014, ICD-10 compliance date. Visit the eHealth University website to find these resources.
CMS Releases “Road to 10” Online Resource for Small Practices
CMS has released “Road to 10,” an online resource built with the help of providers in small practices. This tool is intended to help small medical practices jumpstart their ICD-10 transition.
“Road to 10” includes specialty references and gives providers the capability to build ICD-10 action plans tailored for their practice needs.
CMS/WEDI Implementation Success Initiative
The Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI) is partnering with CMS and other public and private organizations to develop the ICD-10 Implementation Success Initiative. The goal of this initiative is to ensure a successful ICD-10 transition by October 1, 2014, for all stakeholders, including health care providers, payers, clearinghouses, and vendors.
The first part of the Implementation Success Initiative, a searchable database of ICD-10 issues, is open to the public for submission. WEDI, CMS, and industry partners will update the database with information and resources to help health care organizations who submit issues understand how the new codes and standards will affect reporting of diagnoses and inpatient procedures.
ICD-10 Coding Basics MLN Connects™ Video
Are you ready to transition to ICD-10 on October 1, 2014? In this MLN Connects™ video on ICD-10 Coding Basics, Sue Bowman from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) provides a basic introduction to ICD-10 coding, including:
• Similarities and differences from ICD-9
• ICD-10 code structure
• Coding process and examples
o 7th Character
o Placeholder "x"
o Excludes notes
o Unspecified codes
o External cause codes
CMS ICD-10 eHealth Provider Webinar
CMS covered ICD-10 as part of the biweekly eHealth Provider Webinar series on November 10. The PowerPoint presentation and webinar recording for the presentation “Less Than One Year Until ICD-10: Steps Your Practice Can Take to Prepare” are now available.
CMS has developed resources to help the health care industry transition to ICD-10 by the October 1, 2014, deadline. These resources include:
- An Online ICD-10 Guide, which is a web-based tool that provides step-by-step guidance on how to transition to ICD-10 for small practices, large practices, small hospitals, and payers.
- ICD-10 implementation guides, which provide detailed information for planning and executing the ICD-10 transition. The downloadable PDF versions are available below:
- Checklists and timelines with ICD-10 tasks and estimated timeframes for:
Talk Ten Tuesday Podcasts
CMS participates in the ICD-10 Monitor’s Talk Ten Tuesday podcasts. Visit the Talk Ten Tuesday website to listen to past presentations from CMS including:
- December 17, 2013: ICD-10: Looking Ahead
- October 1, 2013: ICD-10: This Time Next Year
- March 26, 2013: CMS: Helping the Industry Prepare for ICD-10
- March 7, 2013: HIMSS Week Day 3: Live from New Orleans
- February 12, 2013: CMS Pilot for End-to-End Testing: It Takes a Village
Stay up to date on ICD-10!
- Page last Modified: 04/14/2014 11:34 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins