Medically Unlikely Edits
The CMS developed Medically Unlikely Edits (MUEs) to reduce the paid claims error rate for Part B claims. An MUE for a HCPCS/CPT code is the maximum units of service that a provider would report under most circumstances for a single beneficiary on a single date of service. All HCPCS/CPT codes do not have an MUE.
MUE was implemented January 1, 2007 and is utilized to adjudicate claims at Carriers, Fiscal Intermediaries, and DME MACs.
This webpage has links to the MUE Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (FAQs), MUE files, and the Publication Announcement Letter which explain most aspects of the MUE program.
Although CMS publishes most MUE values on its website, other MUE values are confidential and are for CMS and CMS Contractors' use only. The latter group of MUE values should not be released since CMS does not publish them.
If you have concerns about the MUE program other than MUE values for specific codes, contact Valeria Allen (email@example.com).
Inquiries about a specific claim should be addressed to the claims processing contractor.
Inquiries about the rationale for an MUE value should be addressed to your claims processing contractor or a national healthcare organization whose members often perform the procedure.
If a national healthcare organization, provider, or other party wants to submit a request for reconsideration of an MUE value, the procedure described in the MUE Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) should be followed. See the web link below. Such requests should be addressed to:
National Correct Coding Initiative
Correct Coding Solutions, LLC
P.O. Box 907
Carmel, IN 46082-0907
Fax #: 317-571-1745
- MUE FAQs - Opens in a new window
- Practitioner Services MUE Table - Updated 4/1/13 - Opens in a new window
- Facility Outpatient Services MUE Table - Updated 4/1/13 - Opens in a new window
- DME Supplier Services MUE Table (Note: This file will include HCPCS A-B, D-H, K-V codes at this time and will not just include HCPCS codes under DME MAC jurisdiction) - Updated 4/1/13 - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 04/05/2012 12:52 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins