ESRD Network Organizations
About the ESRD Network Program
Under the direction of CMS, the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Network Program consists of a national network of 18 ESRD Networks, responsible for each U.S. state, territory, and the District of Columbia. ESRD Networks service geographic areas based on the number and concentration of ESRD beneficiaries.
ESRD Networks work with consumers and ESRD facilities and other providers of ESRD services to refine care delivery systems to make sure ESRD patients get the right care at the right time. The Program's responsibilities include:
- Assuring the effective and efficient administration of benefits
- Improving quality of care for ESRD patients
- Collecting data to measure quality of care
- Providing assistance to ESRD patients and providers
- Evaluating and resolving patient grievances
Quality Improvement Work
To achieve the vision of the ESRD Network Program, the right care for every person every time, the Program assists providers in transforming quality to make healthcare:
Through ESRD Networks and in partnership with other stakeholders, the Program assists providers in transforming healthcare quality to:
- Improve the quality of care and quality of life for ESRD patients
- Improve data reporting, reliability, and validity
- Establish and support partnerships and cooperative activities among ESRD Networks, Quality Improvement Organizations (QIOs), Medicare Advantage organizations, state survey agencies, professional groups, patient organizations, and ESRD facilities/providers.
Future of the ESRD Network Program
Now is an exciting time for the ESRD Network Program. In June 2012, CMS announced a request for proposal for competition of ESRD Network Organization Program contractors in Network areas 1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 11, 13, 16, and 18.
The new solicitation marks a new direction for the ESRD Network Program. The new Statement of Work (SOW), slated to begin January 1, 2013, sets bold new goals for the Program in how Networks will achieve national quality improvement goals in support of the HHS National Quality Strategy, the CMS Three-part Aim, and other priorities designed to improve care for individuals with ESRD.
Learn more about the new emphases of the ESRD Network Program in the "Downloads" and "Links" sections, below.
CMS to Host ESRD Network Bidders' Conference on 6-21-12
CMS is excited to announce an ESRD Network Bidders Conference for those interested in submitting proposals for consideration of an ESRD Network Organization Program contract.
The Request for Proposals for the ESRD Network Organization Contract, which begins on January 1, 2013, has been posted on FedBizOpps website (http://www.fbo.gov) under Solicitation #, “CMS-2012-ESRD-FFPCOMP.”
The End Stage Renal Disease Network Bidders Conference will be held on Thursday, June 21, 2012, from 12:00 – 1:30 PM EST. Learn more in the invitation available in the "Downloads" section, below.
ESRD Network Program Backgrounder (6-18-12)
Learn more about the history of the ESRD Network Program and its future by reading the Fact Sheet available in the "Downloads" section, below.
ESRD Network Redesign Statement of Work (12-18-11)
This PowerPoint presentation, part of the 2011 CMS QualityNet Conference, provides an overview of CMS' efforts to issue a redesigned Statement of Work for the ESRD Network Organization program. Download the presentation, below.
- Invitation - ESRD Network Bidders' Conference (6-21-12) [PDF, 218KB]
- Fact Sheet - ESRD Network Program (June 2012) [PDF, 203KB]
- ESRD Redesign Statement of Work Presentation [PDF, 252KB]
- ESRD Network Program Overview [PDF, 47KB]
- Strategic Plan ESRD Network Program [PDF, 32KB]
- Emergency Preparedness for Dialysis Facilities (PDF, 2.23MB) [PDF, 2MB]
- Page last Modified: 06/19/2012 9:57 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins