A/B MAC Jurisdictions
In April 2006, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) began to award Medicare claims processing contracts for Part A and Part B through competitive procedures.
Through the initial series of Part A and Part B (A/B) Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) procurements, Medicare's claims processing operations have realized significant operational savings from the consolidation of state workloads and the efficiencies gained through integrating A/B functionality. The A/B map in the "Download" section below, reflects the current status of MAC consolidation. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) believes that the efficiency and effectiveness of its contracted Medicare claims operations can be further increased by consolidating some of the smaller A/B MAC workloads to form larger A/B MAC jurisdictions.
To achieve its ultimate goal of ten A/B MAC contracts, CMS began the process to consolidate the following ten A/B MAC workloads, comprising five pairings, to form five consolidated A/B MAC contracts. To date, the first three bulleted consolidations listed below have been completed. The remaining two consolidations have been postponed.
• Jurisdictions 2 and 3 were combined to form A/B MAC Jurisdiction F (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona)
• Jurisdictions 4 and 7 were combined to form A/B MAC Jurisdiction H (Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico)
• Jurisdictions 13 and 14 were combined to form A/B MAC Jurisdiction K (New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire)
• Jurisdictions 8 and 15 will be combined to form A/B MAC Jurisdiction I (Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana). This consolidation has been postponed.**
• Jurisdictions 5 and 6 will be combined to form A/B MAC Jurisdiction G (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri. This consolidation has been postponed. **
** Use this link for details on the postponements MAC Postponement
See the "Download" below for a map of the long-term consolidated A/B MAC jurisdictions.
The user can also access facts sheets for each jurisdiction in the "Related Links" area below.
- Jurisdiction 5 Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction 6 Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction 8 Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction 11 Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction 15 Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction E Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction F Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction H Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction J Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction K Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction L Fact Sheet
- Jurisdiction N Fact Sheet
- Page last Modified: 02/17/2015 10:19 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins