IRF Patient Assessment Instrument
Below is a list of important items associated with the IRF-PAI. Software related to the submission of IRF-PAI data may be downloaded from the software menu of this web page. The files associated with the following list can be found by clicking on the links in the "Downloads" and "Related Links" sections below.
- Updated IRF-PAI Training Manual - Arthritis Attestation (Item 24A) and Therapy Information Section (Items O0401 and O0402) effective October 1, 2015. Additional updates in Helpful Resource Document and Section 2 (Item by Item IRF-PAI Coding Instructions) effective immediately.
- IRF-PAI Training Manual effective October 1, 2014
- Final IRF-PAI effective for October 1, 2015
- Final IRF-PAI effective for October 1, 2014
- Updated IRF-PAI Training Manual effective October 1, 2012
- IRF-PAI (effective October 1, 2012 through September 30, 2014)—Contains new pressure ulcer items for the Quality Reporting Program discussed in the FY 2012 Final Rule for Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities PPS (CMS 1349-F).
- System of Records Notice (published in the Federal Register on November 20, 2006)
- IRF-PAI Data Submission User's Guide (as of September 2004)
Important Notice on IRF-PAI System Maintenance
The scheduled maintenance downtime for the National Assessment Collection Database will be changed. Currently the scheduled downtime occurs on the third Tuesday of each month from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. Central Daylight Time. Beginning on November 17, 2002, the IRF-PAI system may instead be down for maintenance during the day on the third Sunday of every month. If you are unable to connect to the National Assessment Collection Database on the third Sunday of each month, please try again on Monday.
You will not be able to log-in and transmit data during the downtime. Please adjust your facility's transmission schedule accordingly. If you have questions please call the IFMC Hotline at 1-800-339-9313.
Important Notice on IRF-PAI Data Transmission
Before the IRF-PAI data can be transmitted to the CMS national assessment collection database, an IRF must be assigned a login and password for accessing the CMSNet and a login and password for accessing the National Assessment Collection Database. If you have questions regarding the assignment of logins and passwords, accessing the CMSNet or about the submission process, please contact the Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (QIES) Technical Support Office (QTSO) help desk at (800) 339-9313.
* The FIM data set, measurement scale and impairment codes incorporated or referenced in the IRF PAI are the property of U B Foundation Activities, Inc. © 1993, 2001 U B Foundation Activities, Inc. The FIM mark is owned by UBFA, Inc.
- Updated IRF-PAI Training Manual Helpful Resources Document and Section 2 (Item by Item IRF-PAI Coding Instructions) [ZIP, 275KB]
- IRF-PAI Training Manual effective October 1, 2014 [ZIP, 2MB]
- Final IRF-PAI effective October 1, 2015 [PDF, 151KB]
- Final IRF-PAI effective October 1, 2014 [PDF, 85KB]
- IRF-PAI Training Manual (10/1/2012 Version used when performing assessments if the patient is discharged on or after October 1, 2012) [PDF, 1MB]
- IRF-PAI (in effect on October 1, 2012) [PDF, 64KB]
- IRF-PAI Data Submission User's Guide [ZIP, 1MB]
- IRF-PAI Training Manual (01/16/2002 version) [PDF, 1MB]
- IRF-PAI Training Manual (04/01/2004 version to be used when performing assessments if the patient is admitted on or after April 1, 2004) [PDF, 53KB]
- Page last Modified: 12/15/2014 3:44 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins