- Regulation #
- Display Date
- Publication Date
- Calendar Year
- Regulation Type
- Final rule with comment period
- Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2011
- Comment Period Date
- Supporting Documentation
- See Downloads section
Note to the Public regarding the County Data File for the 6th GPCI Update
On November 29, 2010, CMS published the calendar year (CY) 2011 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) final rule with comment period in the Federal Register. This rule finalizes the 6th geographic practice cost index (GPCI) update as required by section 1848 (e)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act.
We make PFS payment geographic adjustments based on the established 89 PFS localities and, therefore, routinely provide the work, practice expense, and malpractice GPCIs to the public based on the locality configurations. However, at the request of several commenters, and as a continuation of CMS' commitment to transparency, we are posting a county-level GPCI file developed from the data adopted for the 6th GPCI update which will allow interested parties to further examine and replicate our GPCI methodology.
The additional information includes county-level GPCI values, employee wage and rent index information for the practice expense GPCI, and the corresponding relative value unit (RVU) information utilized in GPCI locality calculations. In addition, we are providing technical guidance on the contents of the data file.
These additional data are for informational purposes only so that interested parties can have a better understanding of the data that underpin their locality GPCI values. We note that the provision of these data should not be interpreted to reflect any opinion by CMS or the Administration regarding the establishment of GPCIs at the county or any alternative locality configuration. We note further that it was necessary to impute some of these data to the counties since they were derived from data specific to larger geographic areas. The provision of these data should not be interpreted to reflect any views about the adequacy or administrative feasibility of using such data to establish GPCIs at the county or alternative locality level.
- Geographic Practice Cost Indices Report [PDF, 925KB]
- 6th GPCI Update County Data File [ZIP, 559KB]
- 2009 Always Therapy Services Utilization and Code Combinations [ZIP, 637KB]
- Supplemental Information Regarding Data for the 6th GPCI Update [ZIP, 307KB]
- Supplemental GPCI Information [ZIP, 79KB]
- CY 2011 Direct PE (DPEI) [ZIP, 10MB]
- CY 2011 Addendum B [ZIP, 844KB]
- CY2011 Addendum C [ZIP, 75KB]
- Indirect Practice Cost Indices [ZIP, 9KB]
- Physician Time [ZIP, 346KB]
- PE HR [ZIP, 20KB]
- 2009 Utilization Data Crosswalked to 2010 [ZIP, 11MB]
- CY 2010 to 2011 Crosswalks [ZIP, 28KB]
- Physician Practice Expense non MDDO Final Report [ZIP, 673KB]
- Malpractice RVUs for New and Revised Codes [ZIP, 17KB]
- CPT Codes Subject to 75 Percent Usage Rate [ZIP, 10KB]
Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins