Program News and Announcements
The latest news and updates about the Medicare Shared Savings Program (Shared Savings Program) and related initiatives.
A list of Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations can be found at Data.CMS.gov.
- September 22, 2014 – CMS announced the Performance Year 1 quality performance results for ACOs with 2012 and 2013 agreement start dates. For the first Performance Year, CMS defined the quality performance standard at the level of complete and accurate reporting for all quality measures. In Performance Year 1, 209 ACOs met the quality performance standard and were eligible to share in savings, if earned. Quality performance for Performance Year 1 reconciliation for ACOs with 2012 start dates is based on complete and accurate reporting of all required quality measures for Calendar Years 2012 and 2013. Quality performance for Performance Year 1 reconciliation for ACOs with 2013 start dates is based on complete and accurate reporting of all required quality measures for Calendar Year 2013. The quality performance results provided in the Performance Year 1 announcement reflect Calendar Year 2013 performance rates for 220 ACOs. The Calendar Year 2013 mean quality performance rate for each measure, across all ACOs, is also provided.
- September 16, 2014 – CMS announced Performance Year 1 FINAL financial reconciliation and quality performance results for ACOs with 2012 and 2013 agreement start dates. Fifty-three ACOs with 2012 and 2013 start dates generated shared savings during their first performance year; performance year 1 is a 21- or 18-month period for ACOs with 2012 start dates, and a 12 month period for ACOs with 2013 start dates. ACOs that generated savings earned a performance payment if they met the quality standard. One Track 2 ACO with shared losses must repay CMS. This table will be updated soon with additional details. For more information, see the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) press release and fact sheet.
- January 30, 2014—CMS announced Performance Year 1 INTERIM financial reconciliation results for ACOs that started in April and July 2012. Thirty-one ACOs that started in the Medicare Shared Savings Program in April or July 2012 generated shared savings or losses during their first 12 months of participation. We will complete the FINAL performance year 1 reconciliation later this year on all ACOs that started in 2012 and 2013. Consequently, an ACO’s final performance results may differ from their interim results. ACOs that earned a performance payment were eligible for interim payment because they met the quality standard, elected the interim payment option in their application, and posted the required repayment mechanism. A Track 2 ACO with shared losses must repay CMS based on interim performance year 1 reconciliation if it elected the interim payment option in its application and posted the required repayment mechanism.
- December 23, 2013—CMS announced that 123 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The fourth performance period begins January 1, 2014.
- January 10, 2013—CMS announced that 106 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The third performance period began on January 1, 2013.
- July 9, 2012—CMS announced that 87 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The second performance period began on July 1, 2012.
- April 10, 2012—CMS announced that 27 organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The first performance period began on April 1, 2012.
- November 10, 2011 – Making Good on ACOs' Promise — The Final Rule for the Medicare Shared Savings Program - Donald M. Berwick, M.D. from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- January 10, 2013 – More Doctors, Hospitals Partner to Coordinate Care for People with Medicare
- April 10, 2012 – New Affordable Care Act Program to Improve Care, Control Medicare Costs, Off to a Strong Start
- October 20, 2011 – HHS Announces New Incentives for Providers to Work Together Through Accountable Care Organizations When Caring for People with Medicare
Final Rule Fact Sheets
- Summary of Final Rule Provisions for Accountable Care Organizations under the Medicare Shared Savings Program [PDF, 1MB]
- Accountable Care Organizations: What Providers Need to Know [PDF, 1MB]
- Methodology for Determining Shared Savings and Losses under the Medicare Shared Savings Program [PDF, 1MB]
- Medicare Shared Savings Program and Rural Providers [PDF, 711KB]
- Advance Payment Accountable Care Organization (ACO) Model [PDF, 1MB]
- Improving Quality of Care for Medicare Patients: Accountable Care Organizations [PDF, 1MB]
- Page last Modified: 09/22/2014 11:34 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins