Program News and Announcements
The latest news and updates about the Medicare Shared Savings Program (Shared Savings Program) and related initiatives.
A list of Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations can be found at Data.CMS.gov.
- January 30, 2014—CMS announced Performance Year 1 INTERIM financial reconciliation results for ACOs that started in April and July 2012. Thirty-one ACOs that started in the Medicare Shared Savings Program in April or July 2012 generated shared savings or losses during their first 12 months of participation. We will complete the FINAL performance year 1 reconciliation later this year on all ACOs that started in 2012 and 2013. Consequently, an ACO’s final performance results may differ from their interim results. ACOs that earned a performance payment were eligible for interim payment because they met the quality standard, elected the interim payment option in their application, and posted the required repayment mechanism. A Track 2 ACO with shared losses must repay CMS based on interim performance year 1 reconciliation if it elected the interim payment option in its application and posted the required repayment mechanism.
- December 23, 2013—CMS announced that 123 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The fourth performance period begins January 1, 2014.
- January 10, 2013—CMS announced that 106 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The third performance period began on January 1, 2013.
- July 9, 2012—CMS announced that 87 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The second performance period began on July 1, 2012.
- April 10, 2012—CMS announced that 27 organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The first performance period began on April 1, 2012.
- November 10, 2011 – Making Good on ACOs' Promise — The Final Rule for the Medicare Shared Savings Program - Donald M. Berwick, M.D. from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- January 10, 2013 – More Doctors, Hospitals Partner to Coordinate Care for People with Medicare
- April 10, 2012 – New Affordable Care Act Program to Improve Care, Control Medicare Costs, Off to a Strong Start
- October 20, 2011 – HHS Announces New Incentives for Providers to Work Together Through Accountable Care Organizations When Caring for People with Medicare
Final Rule Fact Sheets
- Summary of Final Rule Provisions for Accountable Care Organizations under the Medicare Shared Savings Program [PDF, 1MB]
- Accountable Care Organizations: What Providers Need to Know [PDF, 1MB]
- Methodology for Determining Shared Savings and Losses under the Medicare Shared Savings Program [PDF, 1MB]
- Medicare Shared Savings Program and Rural Providers [PDF, 711KB]
- Advance Payment Accountable Care Organization (ACO) Model [PDF, 1MB]
- Improving Quality of Care for Medicare Patients: Accountable Care Organizations [PDF, 1MB]
- Page last Modified: 08/07/2014 1:36 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins