OASIS User Manuals
Information Regarding the Implementation of OASIS-C1
The original version of the OASIS-C1 data item set was approved by The Office of Management & Budget (OMB) on February 6, 2014 and was scheduled for implementation on October 1, 2014. However, on April 1, 2014, the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (PAMA) (Pub. L. No. 113-93) was enacted, which mandates that the Secretary of the Department of Health & Human Services (the Secretary) may not adopt ICD-10 prior to October 1, 2015.
There are five (5) data items in the original version of OASIS-C1 that require ICD-10 codes. Because the PAMA legislation has delayed the implementation of ICD-10 until October 1, 2015, we found it necessary to create a modified version of OASIS-C1 (titled “OASIS-C1 / ICD-9 Version”) which will allow the use of OASIS-C1 with ICD-9 coding until ICD-10 does goes live.
“OASIS-C1 / ICD-9 Version” will be implemented at 12:00 a.m. eastern time (E.T.) on January 1, 2015 and will remain in effect until ICD-10 is implemented. When ICD-10 is finally implemented, the original version of OASIS-C1 will be used.
Guideline for Use of the Different Versions of OASIS
Below, is a guideline for use of the various versions of the OASIS data item sets:
- OASIS-C will remain in effect until 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on December 31, 2014;
- The use of OASIS-C has been extended for an additional 3 month period due to the legislatively mandated ICD-10 delay.
- OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Version:
- The OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Version will go into effect at 12:00 a.m. (E.T.) on January 1, 2015, and shall remain in effect until ICD-10 is implemented or until another disposition/decision is made regarding this matter by CMS.
- To create the OASIS-C1 / ICD-9 Version, the following five items which use ICD-10 codes have been removed from the OASIS-C1 data item set: M1011, M1017, M1021, M1023, M1025; and
- These deleted items have been replaced with corresponding ICD-9 based items from the OASIS-C data item set: M1010, M1016, M1020, M1022, and M1024;
- The replacement items will retain their OASIS-C based numbering in the OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Version data item set.
- OASIS-C1 (Original Version):
OASIS-C1 (Original Version) will go into effect upon the occurrence of one of the following events, whichever occurs earlier in time:
- 12:00 a.m. (E.T.) on October 1, 2015; OR,
- 12:00 a.m. (E.T.) on the first day that ICD-10 goes live (whichever occurs soonest).
OASIS-C1 / ICD-9 Guidance Manual
Chapter 3 of the OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Guidance Manual is now available in the Downloads section below. Additional sections of the OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Guidance Manual will be posted when available.
NOTE: The posted section(s) of the OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Guidance Manual are DRAFT versions. An updated final version of the OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Guidance Manual will be posted at a later data, after the Office of Management & Budget (OMB) has approved the OASIS-C1/ ICD-9 Version Data Item Set.
OASIS-C is the updated version of the OASIS data set that must be used for all assessments of Medicare and Medicaid patients that are completed on or after January 1, 2010.
Use of OASIS-C has been extended until December 31, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. (eastern time). Then OASIS-C1 / ICD-9 Version will go live at 12:00 a.m. on January 1. 2015.
The OASIS-C Guidance manual (September, 2009) is a streamlined and updated version of the original OASIS Implementation Manual. It provides:
- specific item-by-item information on completion of each OASIS-C item
- general information relevant to OASIS data collection versions of OASIS-C for each OASIS data collection time point
- sample pages of clinical record forms for OASIS data time points illustrating how the relevant OASIS items can be integrated
- relevant resources for HHAs, with hyperlinks when available
- information on OBQI
- home health care regulations related to OASIS data collection, and
- recommendations for ensuring accuracy of OASIS data.
The manual is available from the "Downloads" section below.
- OASIS-C1 Guidance Manual – Chapter 3 (Draft)
- 06/30/2013: A new errata sheet has been added to the Downloads section, indicating updates to the December 2012 OASIS-C Guidance Manual.
- 12/13/2012: The annual revision of the OASIS-C Guidance manual for CY2012 is completed. The revised manual and updated errata list are available under downloads below
- 1/6/2012: The annual revision of the OASIS-C Guidance manual for CY2011 is completed. The revised manual and updated errata list are available under downloads below.
- 1/13/2011: The revised OASIS-C Guidance Manual and errata sheet posted on 1/5/2011 contain a typographical but significant error. That error is on page F-18 in the last sentence of the last RSI bullet (#9) for Item M1340. In that sentence, M1340 should read M1350.
- The corrected (and updated for CY2010) manual and the corrected errata list are available from the "Downloads" section below. The single corrected page F-18 can also be printed individually from the zip file.
- 1/5/2011: The annual revision of the OASIS-C Guidance manual for CY2010 is completed. The revised manual and updated errata list are available under downloads below.
- 6/30/2010: A new errata sheet has been added to the Downloads section, indicating updates to the Guidance Manual developed since December 2009. Revisions to the Guidance Manual incorporating these and subsequent errata will be posted annually in December.
- 12/22/2009: The OASIS-C Guidance Manual has been updated to incorporate the errata posted on December 11, 2009. The errata posted on December 11 are in most cases either corrections of minor typos or clarifications requested by clinicians. CMS made a significant effort to respond to those questions and to share these additional clarifications with agencies prior to January 1st rather than after implementation.
- 12/11/2009: An errata sheet has been added to the Downloads section, indicating updates to the Guidance Manual. A revised Guidance Manual incorporating these errata will be posted shortly.
OASIS-C Validation Report Messages and Description Guide (December 2009)
We have updated the HHA Error Message Guide to provide you with a manual which describes the types of reports and messages you can expect to see in response to your electronic submission of OASIS data. This guide is updated to reflect the OASIS-C (01/2010) version. This manual is based on version 2.00 data specifications, available in HAVEN 10.0. This manual is designed to help you interpret your feedback reports.
HAVEN System Reference Manual (October 2010)
This manual covers the use of HAVEN version 10.0 and above, which has been developed to provide home health agencies with software for data entry, editing, and validation of OASIS data. This software uses the OASIS-C Version 2.00 data specifications for all assessments of Medicare and Medicaid patients that are completed on or after January 1, 2010. This manual includes information on setting up the software, defining agency and employee information, entering patient and assessment data, and data management functions.
Note: The current version of the HAVEN software is available from the "Downloads" section below.
Wound item Guidance
Pressure Ulcer Stages Revised by NPUAP
In February 2007, the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel released updated definitions of pressure ulcers and the stages of pressure ulcers, available at www.npuap.org. Effective immediately, home health agencies and clinicians may begin to utilize the 2/2007 NPUAP Pressure Ulcer Definitions and Stages in the assessment and reporting of pressure ulcers while completing the patient comprehensive assessment, and to the extent possible in reporting pressure ulcer-related OASIS items. Due to inconsistent language between the new NPUAP definitions and the current OASIS item language (e.g., a "suspected deep tissue injury" referenced in the NPUAP criteria is not currently present as a response option in the OASIS items) it will not be possible to exactly report the new pressure ulcer stages in OASIS 2008.
The updated approach to pressure ulcers is incorporated in the OASIS C instrument (see above).
CMS plans to participate and adopt recommendations made by the upcoming NQF Pressure Ulcer Framework. (See Related Links Outside CMS below.) CMS expects that the most recent instruction provided, usually in the form of released CMS Q&As, will be followed when completing the OASIS items, therefore providers are encouraged to review and follow the Q&As posted at QIES and OASIS Q&A Links outside CMS below. https://www.qtso.com/hhadownload.html.
Accurate Coding of Surgical Wounds
Based on the current advances in wound care research, CMS will follow the revised guidance on the Wound Ostomy Continence Nurses Society (WOCN) Guidance on OASIS-C Integumentary Items (revised December 2009) regarding the lack of scientific evidence supporting the finding of the healing ridge in the assessment of surgical wounds closed by primary intention.
CMS encourages clinicians to follow the guidance suggested in the WOCN Guidance on OASIS-C Integumentary Items (revised December 2009) in the assessment of surgical wounds, specifically in the assessment of M1342 Status of Most Problematic (Observable) Surgical Wound. This document is found at: www.wocn.org; http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.wocn.org/resource/resmgr/docs/guidanceoasis-c.pdf.
- Page last Modified: 07/22/2014 5:34 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins