Hospice Item Set (HIS)
2 New Fact Sheets related to the Hospice Item Set (HIS) and FY 2016 Reporting Cycle Requirements Available as “Downloads” below
- Fact Sheet: FY 2016 Reporting Cycle: This fact sheet is intended to help hospices understand the requirements for FY 2016 reporting, and what they should do to comply with reporting requirements.
- Fact Sheet: Getting Started with the HIS – Checklist and Quick Tips: This fact sheet is intended to provide hospices with a checklist of steps to complete for HIS data collection and HIS record completion and submission. The Fact sheet contains a list of resources providers may find helpful as they get started with HIS requirements
Version 1.01 of the HIS Manual and relevant change table available in ‘Downloads,’ below
Version 1.01 of the HIS Manual is now available as a download, below. The download also includes a revised Change Table which denotes changes that were made from V1.00.0 to V1.01 of the HIS Manual. Providers should review Version 1.01 of the HIS Manual along with the change table to make sure they have the most up-to-date guidance on HIS Data Collection.”
Question and Answer (Q+A) Document for the first quarter of 2014 now available
A Question and Answer (Q+A) document is now available in the “Downloads” portion of this webpage, below. The Q+A document reflects frequently asked Hospice Item Set (HIS) related questions that were received on the Quality Help Desk during the first quarter (January – March) of 2014.”
New Fact Sheet regarding HIS Completion Timing guidelines now available
A new fact sheet “Fact Sheet – HIS Completion Timing Guidelines” is now available in the “Downloads” portion of this webpage. This fact sheet replaces previous CMS guidance about “updating” the HIS and provides important new information. The new fact sheet distinguishes between the Completion Date (Z0500B, actual date on which the HIS record is completed) and the Completion Deadline (latest date on which a HIS record should be completed). The new guidance states that hospices should not update the HIS-Admission record to account for changes in patient status/preferences that occur between the Completion Date and the Completion Deadline.”
On 4/8/2014, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approved the Hospice Item Set (HIS) Paperwork Reduction Act (PRA) package. The final, OMB approved versions of the HIS (HIS-Admission and HIS-Discharge) can be found at the bottom of this webpage under “Downloads”. No changes were made as a result of the OMB review.
Hospice providers should refer to the final, OMB-approved versions of the HIS-Admission and HIS-Discharge as they prepare for HIS implementation. All Medicare-certified hospices will submit a HIS-Admission record and a HIS-Discharge record for each patient admission on or after July 1, 2014.
The video recordings of the Data Collection Training for the Hospice Item Set (HIS), originally presented on February 4th and 5th, are now available @ http://downloads.cms.gov/files/HospiceTrainingOnFeb4-5Of2014.zip [1.2 GB].
YouTube videos are also available at:
2014 Feb 4th Hospice Quality Reporting Program Training
2014 Feb 5th Hospice Quality Reporting Program Training
The Hospice Item Set (HIS) Manual and training slides are now available in the Downloads section below.
Registration for on-site attendance at the Hospice Item Set (HIS) Data Collection Training is now available at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hospice-item-set-his-data-collection-training-registration-10002003261.
Registration will be open until 11:59 PM ET on Monday, January 27th. The training will be held at the CMS Central Office in Baltimore, MD, on February 4th and 5th from 12:30-4:30 pm each day. Participants will need to attend both afternoons; the 2/5 session is not a repeat of 2/4, but includes unique material. The number of participants on-site will be limited and the number of in-person participants per hospice will be limited to one. Early registration is recommended.
To ensure access to the training for ALL hospices, the training will be live-streamed, and will also be recorded and posted on the CMS website for on-demand viewing. Instructions for live video-streaming access will be provided at http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Hospice-Quality-Reporting/Hospice-Item-Set-HIS.html. No registration is required for video-streaming. If you are unable to live-stream the HIS Data Collection Training, videos of the trainings will be posted on the same cms.gov site shortly after the training is complete.
This training will cover the data collection portion of the HIS only. Detailed training on the technical submission processes and data submission software will be provided in May. Additional information about that training and the associated registration will be announced at a later date.
The HIS Data Collection Training will closely follow along with the HIS Manual, which will be available on the CMS HQRP website in late January. A PDF version of the PowerPoint slide presentation will also be made available online prior to the training. In-person training participants are encouraged to print out a copy of the manual and the slide presentation before the training, as printed materials will not be provided at the training.
See the following two documents in the Downloads area below. The HIS manual and pdf of the HIS training slides will also be posted as downloads on this page prior to the training:
- Agenda including Video-streaming Information and Q & A Instructions
- Instructions for On-Site Registrants
To view the event live on 2/4 and 2/5, users should visit http://www.cms.gov/LIVE/
There are two players on this page: the “Official Ustream Channel for CMS live events” and “Official YouTube Channel for CMS live events”. We will be broadcasting using the second player on the screen the “Official YouTube Channel for CMS live events”. Click the large arrow on the second player.
A HIS fact sheet is now available for providers in the “downloads” section of this webpage, below. This fact sheet is intended to provide a general overview of the HIS. Topics covered in the fact sheet include HIS background information, possible steps for implementing the HIS in your hospice, HIS completion and submission timeframes, and additional HIS resources.
For final requirements related to the Hospice Item Set (HIS) (e.g., dates of implementation, data submission requirements, etc.), please see the FY2014 Hospice Wage Index Final Rule: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-08-07/pdf/2013-18838.pdf
The HIS is a patient-level data collection tool developed as part of the HQRP, which can be used to collect data to calculate 6 National Quality Forum-endorsed (NQF) Measures and 1 modified NQF Measure:
- NQF #1617 Patients Treated with an Opioid who are Given a Bowel Regimen
- NQF #1634 Pain Screening
- NQF #1637 Pain Assessment
- NQF #1638 Dyspnea Treatment
- NQF #1639 Dyspnea Screening
- NQF #1641 Treatment Preferences
- Modified NQF #1647 Beliefs/Values Addressed (if desired by the patient)
- Fact Sheet: FY 2016 Reporting Cycle [PDF, 108KB]
- Fact Sheet: Getting Started with the HIS – Checklist and Quick Tips [PDF, 113KB]
- HIS Admission Final 4-8-2014 [PDF, 212KB]
- HIS Discharge Final 4-8-2014 [PDF, 147KB]
- HIS Training Slides [PDF, 931KB]
- Agenda including Video-streaming Information and Q & A Instructions [PDF, 24KB]
- Instructions for On-Site Registrants [PDF, 36KB]
- HIS Fact Sheet [PDF, 99KB]
- HIS Manual V1.01 and Change Table for V1.00.0 to V1.01 [ZIP, 1MB]
- April 2014 Q+A Document – FINAL [PDF, 303KB]
- Fact Sheet – HIS Completion Timing Guidelines [PDF, 125KB]
- Page last Modified: 07/16/2014 4:55 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins