Spotlight & Announcements
The Hospice Item Set (HIS) Manual and training slides are now available on the HIS page – Select Hospice Item Set (HIS) from the list to the left on this page. The Manual is an essential tool in understanding how to implement the HIS. The training slides and manual will be used for the HIS Data Collection Training, which will be held in Baltimore on February 4th and 5th. Additional information about the HIS Data Collection Training is available on the HIS page.
On-site and live-streaming participants of the training are strongly encouraged to print out the manual prior to the training. Hard copies of the manual will not be provided at the on-site training. Instructions for live video-streaming access are on the HIS page. No registration is required for live-streaming. This training will also be recorded and posted on the HIS web page for on-demand viewing. An announcement will be sent out when the video is available.
Hospice Open Door Forum: 1/22/14, 2-3PM ET
On Wednesday, January 22nd, from 2-3 PM ET, there will be an Open Door Forum focused on the Hospice Quality Reporting Program (HQRP). During this call, both the FY 2015 and FY 2016 Reporting Cycles will be discussed. In addition, the call will provide information about the upcoming patient/family survey requirements for hospices that will begin 1/1/2015.
The FY 2015 cycle consists of reporting on two measures: the structural measure and the National Quality Forum (NQF) #0209 pain measure. The Hospice Quality Reporting Program Data Entry and Submission Site is now available for data submission. Data for each measure must be submitted to CMS by 11:59pm ET on April 1, 2014 for FY 2015 payment determination. The Technical User’s Guide, posted on the Data Submission web page is the primary reference for the Hospice Quality Reporting Program Data Entry and Submission Site for the FY2015 reporting cycle.
As part of the FY 2016 Cycle, the Hospice Item Set (HIS) will be implemented on July 1, 2014. The HIS is a set of patient-level data items that can be used to calculate 6 NQF- endorsed measures and one modified NQF measure. Training on data collection for the HIS will be offered on February 4th and February 5th in Baltimore. Registration for the training is now open. Hospices may also live- stream the event if they are unable to attend in person, or watch the training online at a later date.
After a presentation of information about the FY 2015 and FY 2016 Reporting Cycles, there will be time for a Q&A session.
Additional information about the ODF, including the agenda, call-in information and conference ID, will be posted to the Open Door Forum HHH and DME webpage:
Information about the Hospice Item Set Training is now available on the HIS page – select Hospice Item Set (HIS) from the list to the left on this page.
Save the Date for Upcoming Hospice Item Set (HIS) Data Collection & Technical Training Sessions
Save the date for upcoming CMS provider trainings. CMS will host a series of provider trainings for the HIS in February and May 2014.
Beginning July 1, 2014, hospices will be required to submit 2 HIS records for each patient admission – a HIS-Admission record and a HIS-Discharge record.
Trainings will be divided into two sessions:
- HIS Data Collection training: will be held over two half-day sessions on February 4th and February 5th, 2014, both in the afternoon.
- This training will be geared towards teaching hospice providers how to complete the HIS-Admission and HIS-Discharge. The training will cover each item in the HIS, including instruction on how to complete each item, examples for each item, and a question and answer session.
- The training will be video-streamed live online on February 4th and 5th. The training will also be video-recorded and will be posted on the CMS HQRP website for provider viewing and download prior to the July 1, 2014 implementation of the HIS. Limited on-site attendance in the CMS Auditorium at the CMS Central Office will also be available for the February Data Collection training.
- HIS Technical training: will be held in May 2014, exact date TBD.
- This technical training for hospice providers and vendors will cover topics such as registration, obtaining user IDs, submitting HIS files to the QIES ASAP system, and reviewing final validation reports.
- Details about the date, time, location, and delivery method of this training are not yet available. Providers should check the CMS HQRP website for updates.
Providers cannot yet register for either the HIS data collection or the HIS technical training sessions. Further details about HIS training registration processes will be posted on this website as they become available. Providers should visit the CMS HQRP website on a regular basis for the most up-to-date information.
Technical User’s Guide
The updated version of the Technical User's Guide for Hospice Quality Reporting Data Entry and Submission Site is now available as a new download on the “Data Submission” portion of this website. For the most up-to-date information on data submission, please visit the “Data Submission” portion of the CMS HQRP website by clicking on the link on the left sidebar of this page.
A new download is now available on the “Hospice Item Set (HIS)” portion of this website. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the “Hospice Item Set (HIS)” portion of the CMS HQRP website by clicking on the link on the left sidebar of this page.
- Training materials for the Fiscal Year 2015 Reporting Cycle are now available on the Data Collection portion of this website. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the “Data Collection” portion of the CMS HQRP website by clicking on the link on the left sidebar of this page.
- As referenced in the recently published final rule CMS-1449-F, a document presenting the results from analysis of the NQF #0209 data submitted by hospices is available under downloads below. The document includes data from the voluntary reporting period, the hospice item set pilot test, and data submitted by hospices as part of the hospice quality reporting requirements for the FY 2014 Annual Payment Update. The analysis supports CMS’s decision to no longer require that hospices submit NQF #0209 data as part of Hospice Quality Reporting Program.
New downloads and announcements are now available on the following sections of this website: website:
- Data Collection
- Data Submission
- Hospice Item Set (HIS)
For the most up-to-date information, please visit each of the sections of the CMS HQRP website listed above by clicking on the links on the left sidebar of this page.
The Next Hospice Quality Reporting Program (HQRP) data submission will be in 2014; 2013 data will not be submitted quarterly
For the Payment Year 2015 (FY 2015) cycle of the HQRP, data collected for the structural measure and the NQF #0209 measure will not be submitted on a quarterly basis. Providers will submit all of their 2013 data once, in 2014. The deadline for that submission is 4/1/2014; we encourage hospices to submit EARLY.
Proposed Rule and Paperwork Reduction Act (PRA) Package Available for Public Comment; Comment Period Ends June 28, 2013
Hospice providers can review the Hospice Quality Reporting Program (HQRP) section of the proposed rule [CMS-1449-P] and the PRA Package. Section III(B1-B7) of the Proposed Rule outlines current HQRP requirements and proposes future HQRP requirements for Payment Year (PY) 2016 and PY 2017. The PRA package includes details about the Hospice Item Set (HIS), a hospice patient-level data set designed to collect and submit standardized data about each patient admitted to hospice. The HIS is proposed for implementation in July 2014 impacting the annual payment update effective 10/1/2015.
The public has the opportunity to comment on proposals in the rule and/or the PRA package. The public comment period for the proposed rule and the PRA package will end on June 28, 2013. The process for submitting comments on either the proposed rule or the PRA package is outlined within the proposed rule. After the comment period ends, CMS will respond to comments and finalize HQRP requirements in the Final Rule.
- Page last Modified: 01/23/2014 12:41 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins