Hospice Quality Reporting
About this website
This HQRP website provides consumer and provider information regarding the Hospice Quality Reporting Program, mandated by the Affordable Care Act of 2010. The HQRP website comprises important web subdirectory pages shown on the left hand side of the page:
- Spotlight and Announcements: provides recent news and updates pertinent to the HQRP. Providers should visit this portion of the webpage on a regular basis to have the most up-to-date information
- HIS: provides information specific to the Hospice Item Set (HIS)
- HIS Technical Information: provides technical information pertinent to the HIS
- Help Desks: contains Help Desk contact information and FAQ documents for the HQRP.
- Reconsideration Requests: provides information related to the reconsideration process for the HQRP Annual Payment Update determinations
- FY2014 and FY2015 Data Collection: provides information and materials pertinent to data collection activities for the HQRP such as User Guides, trainings, and fact sheets
- FY2014 and FY2015 Data Submission: provides information and materials pertinent to data submission activities for the HQRP such as User Guides, trainings, and fact sheets.
- Archive: contains archived information for historical reference such as postings and downloads that appeared on the HQRP website in the past, but are not currently applicable.
Section 3004 of the Affordable Care Act directs the Secretary to establish quality reporting requirements for Hospice Programs. For the actual language in this section of the statute, please see Section 3004 Statute under Related Links below.
Section 3004 requires the Secretary to publish, no later than October 1, 2012 the selected quality measures that must be reported by Hospice Programs. The ACA requires that CMS use nationally endorsed quality measures, but also allows CMS to specify measures that are not already endorsed if a feasible and practical measure in the area determined appropriate by the Secretary has not been endorsed.
Penalties for Failure to Report
For fiscal year 2014, and each subsequent year, failure to submit required quality data shall result in a 2 percentage point reduction to the market basket percentage increase for that fiscal year.
The Hospice Quality Reporting Program (HQRP) is currently “pay-for-reporting,” meaning it is the act of submitting data that determines compliance with HQRP requirements. Performance level is not a consideration when determining market basket updates/Annual Payment Updates (APU).
Public Availability of Reported Data
Section 3004 requires the Secretary to establish procedures for making data available to the public and requires the Secretary to establish procedures to ensure Hospice Programs have the opportunity to review that data prior to public reporting. No date has been specified to begin public reporting of quality data.
This website is the official website for providers to receive updates and announcements related to the HQRP. Providers should bookmark this web address and visit the website on a regular basis to have the most up-to-date information related to the HQRP.
In addition to the CMS HQRP website, providers can sign up for list-servs pertinent to the HQRP:
- Open Door Forum (ODF) list serv: CMS regularly holds Open Door Forums in which CMS makes announcements pertinent to various programs/care settings. Open Door Forums are also an opportunity for live dialogue between CMS and the provider community at large. The specific Open Door Forum pertinent to the HQRP is the "Home Health, Hospice, and Durable Medical Equipment Open Door Forum". To sign up for this ODF listserv, visit http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-education/Outreach/OpenDoorForums/ODF_HHHDME.html and click on the "Home Health, Hospice & DME Open Door Forum Mailing List Sign Up" link at the bottom of the webpage, under "Related Links".
- E-News List Serv: CMS also sends out a weekly e-Newsletter, which contains information pertinent to various Medicare programs and care settings. To receive the E-News, please click here to sign up:
- Page last Modified: 07/10/2014 1:37 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins