Call for Measures
As a part of its measure development process, CMS may request interested parties to submit candidate measures that may be suitable for a specific project. The candidate measures suggested will be reviewed by CMS and its measure development contractor(s). Candidate measures suggested through a call for candidate measures will undergo the same rigorous evaluation as all CMS measures.
The CMS measures development process consists of the following steps:
- Identifying important quality goals related to Medicare services
- Conducting literature reviews and grading evidence
- Defining and developing specifications for each quality measure
- Obtaining evaluation of proposed measures by technical expert panels
- Soliciting public comment on proposed measures
- Testing measures for validity, reliability, ease, and accuracy of collection
- Refining measures as needed
Call for Measures:
ARRA HITECH Eligible Professionals Clinical Quality Measures Project Ambulatory Patient Safety Measures Environmental Scan
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is developing a portfolio of electronically-specified clinical quality measures (eCQMs) that can be reported by participating Eligible Professionals (EPs) through the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program for EPs. CMS has contracted with Mathematica Policy Research to identify concepts for ambulatory patient safety measures applicable to both primary care physicians (PCPs) and specialists.
As part of its measure development process, CMS is requesting that interested parties submit candidate or concept measures that may be suitable for this project. Potential candidate ambulatory patient safety measures or concepts are for those instances of preventable medical error(s) that caused harm to the patient. These measures or concepts include but are not limited to adverse drug events, diagnostic errors, healthcare associated infections, etc. Alternatively, an interested party could suggest a measure used in a different setting, such as hospitals or nursing homes, which could be adapted into ambulatory care for PCPs and specialists. The patient safety candidate measures and measure suggestions provided will be reviewed by CMS, the measure development contractor, and potentially technical expert panels convened by the measure contractor. Any measure(s) adapted or adopted for inclusion in CMS programs will reside in the public domain.
The primary objective for this call for measures is to identify and compile existing ambulatory patient safety measures and/or measure concepts being developed or used by stakeholders.
When submitting measures and/or concepts for consideration, please include all required documentation following the instructions below:
1. Submit the candidate measures and/or concepts on the “Measures Submitted for Consideration” form available in the download section.
a. If you are submitting fully developed or endorsed measures, attach any additional measure information to the email.
2. Email the completed form and any attachments to: email@example.com
3. All submissions must be received by Thursday, November 14, 2013 5pm ET.
- Page last Modified: 04/11/2014 3:29 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins