MDS 3.0 Technical Information
What's New -
May 20, 2013
jRAVEN 1.1.7 (Resident Assessment Validation and Entry), currently available inside Related Links at the bottom of this website, is a JAVA based application that allows facilities to collect and maintain facility, patient and assessment information for subsequent submission to the appropriate state and/or national data repository. jRAVEN is free software provided by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Consult the jRAVEN Installation Guide and jRAVEN User Guide for further information.
jRAVEN 1.1.7 update to jRAVEN 1.1.6 includes the following:
- Gender values for MDS 3.0, when importing "not assessed", now produces an import error message
- Corrections/Inactivations can now be made not only within a data spec, but outside of its original time period, with no target date limit
- The Migration Tool has been removed
- Section S change for S8010H1
- jRAVEN's help text entries received updates, per revised RAI manual
- RUG's scores will be cleared and recalculated upon Save & Validate
- jRAVEN's calculated HIPPS/RUG code for input item C0500 now equals that of the QIES ASAP system
- VUT handles Q0490's edit -3820 for resident preference skips
- Updates to the User manuals to reference latest version
May 8, 2013
A new version of the RUG-IV Specifications and DLL Package (V1.03.0) was posted. This version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2013. This Version 1.03.0 of the RUG-IV grouper should be considered provisional or draft and is subject to change until the final specifications are published. Please refer to the “RUGIV grouper overview” document for a summary of the changes that were made to this version.
A new version (V1.13.1) of the data submission specs was posted. Documents associated with this version are dated 04/09/2013. This version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2013. Version 1.13.1 should be considered provisional or draft and is subject to change until the final specifications are published. Please refer to the Data Specifications Overview document for a summary of the changes that were made to this version. Details about the changes are contained in the Edit Change Report and the Item Change Report. Note that an errata document for V1.13.1 has also been posted which addresses several errors that have been identified.
April 17, 2013
One document in the RUG-III files posted on April 15, 2013 has been corrected. The document “RUG III MDS 3.0 mapping specifications V1.00.5 04-08-2013.pdf” has been replaced with a corrected version “RUG III MDS 3.0 mapping specifications V1.00.5 04-16-2013.pdf”. The only changes are replacing 2 references to “K6a” with “K6b” in the “Logic” section of page 49.
April 15, 2013
New versions of the RUG-III MDS 3.0 Version Converter DLL (V1.00.4) and the RUG III MDS 3.0 mapping specifications (V1.00.5) were posted. These new versions accommodate MDS item set changes for assessments on or after October 1, 2013 as well as earlier assessments.
April 12, 2013
The MDS 3.0 QM User’s Manual containing detailed specification for the MDS 3.0 quality measures has been removed from this page. The table entitled, Quality Measure Identification Number by CMS Reporting Module has been removed from this page. A new version of the MDS 3.0 QM User’s Manual (V8.0) and V1.2 of the Quality Measure Identification Number table are available in the Downloads section of the NHQI Quality Measures page.
January 28, 2013
A new version (V1.11.0) of the MDS item sets was also posted. This version is also scheduled to become effective October 1, 2013 in conjunction with the new version of the data specs. The item sets should also be considered provisional or draft and subject to change until final item sets are published.
October 24, 2012
Version 1.10.1 of the data submission specifications has been moved to the technical information archive page.
August 15, 2012
jRAVEN 18.104.22.168 software - Addresses the newly revised RUG's .dll and updates to manuals to reference the latest version of 22.214.171.124. Consult the jRAVEN Installation Guide and jRAVEN User Guide for further information. (Updated August 1, 2012)
This version contains two new issues. Please note that the resolution that was proposed in an earlier errata document to issue #02 was incorrect and has been withdrawn. Issue #04 contains an updated resolution to this issue.
MDS 3.0 Technical Information:
The following files contain technical information related to the MDS 3.0 and are now available under the Downloads section of this page:
- MDS 3.0 Data Submission Specifications (V1.11.0) - Detailed data submission specifications for MDS 3.0. These specs will be implemented on 10-01-2012 (Updated 6-4-2012)
- Errata document for MDS 3.0 data submission specs (V1.11.0) - These specs will be implemented on 10-01-2012 (Updated 07-10-2012)
- MDS 3.0 Data Submission Specifications (V1.12.0) - Detailed data submission specifications for MDS 3.0. These specs will be implemented on 05-19-2013 (Updated 9-18-2012)
- MDS 3.0 Data Submission Specifications (V1.13.1) – Detailed data submission specifications for MDS 3.0. These specs will be implemented on 10-01-2013. (Updated 04-09-2013)
- Errata document for MDS 3.0 data submission specs (V1.13.1) (Updated 04-23-2013)
- MDS 3.0 Item Sets (V1.10.4) – Printable MDS 3.0 item sets for implementation on 04-01-2012. (Updated 11-30-2012)
- MDS 3.0 Item Sets (V1.11.0) – Printable MDS 3.0 item sets for implementation on 10-01-2013. (Updated 01-17-2013)
- RUG-III and RUG-IV Files (posted together):
- RUG IV Files:
- RUG-IV Specifications and DLL Package (V1.03.0) - Version 1.03.0 handles revised RUG-IV classification effective 10/1/2013. (updated 04-29-2013 )
- RUG-IV Unsmoothed and Smoothed Average Nursing Staff Time Means for the 66-Group, 57-Group and 48-Group Models Package (V.100). The unsmoothed and smoothed means are presented in PDF and CSV format. A PDF document describes the detailed methods used to smooth the nursing means.
- RUG III Files:
- RUG-III MDS 3.0 Mapping Specifications (V1.00.5) - This document presents logic that can be used to produce RUG-III classifications using assessment items contained on MDS 3.0 and accommodates item set changes for assessments on or after October 1, 2013 as well as earlier assessments. (updated 4-11-2013).
- RUG-III MDS 3.0 Version Converter DLL (V1.00.4) - The RugVersionConverter.dll is designed to accept a fixed-format MDS 3.0 string, convert payment items to MDS 2.0 format, and return a fixed-format MDS 2.0 string. The MDS 2.0 string can then be submitted to the RUG-III grouper DLL (RUG520.DLL) to obtain a RUG-III group. This version of the Converter DLL processes MDS 3.0 strings made in accordance with v1.00.5 of the RUG-III MDS 3.0 Mapping Specifications. (updated 4-11-2013)
- RUG-III Grouper Package (5.20) – Logic, test data, programs, and DLL to calculate RUG-III classification for MDS 2.0 records. This package can be used in conjunction with the RUG-III MDS 3.0 Mapping Specifications or Version Converter DLL to calculate RUG-III classification for MDS 3.0 records.
- RUG-III Errata Document - Provides information about errors in the RAB and RAA group ADL ranges in three documents in the RUG-III V5.20 Package. Document is dated 09-03-2010. (Updated 09-23-2010)
- RUG-III STRIVE Nursing CMIs (V1.00) - The nursing CMIs and nursing staff time means for the RUG-III groups (Version 5.20) based on the STRIVE staff time study are available for use in state Medicaid systems.
- RUG IV Files:
- MDS 3.0 CATs Specifications (V1.01.0) - Care Area Trigger (CAT) specifications for OBRA comprehensive assessments with an assessment reference date on or after 4/1/2012.
Questions regarding the information on this page should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that CMS will not be providing an individualized response to each inquiry; however, CMS will make sure the issues or comments are addressed in the upcoming MDS 3.0 training sessions or updates to the information provided on this page.
The information listed below under the "Downloads" section is subject to change. CMS will communicate any changes to these materials on this page as well as through Open Door Forums hosted by CMS.
- MDS 3.0 Item Subsets V1.10.4 for the April 1, 2012 Release [ZIP, 8MB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs V1.11.0 for the October 1, 2012 Release [ZIP, 10MB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs Errata V1.11.0 for the October 1, 2012 Release [ZIP, 9KB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs V1.12.0 for the May 19, 2013 Release [ZIP, 9MB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs V1.13.1 for the October 1, 2013 Release [ZIP, 10MB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs Errata V1.13.1 for the October 1, 2013 Release [ZIP, 8KB]
- MDS 3.0 Item Subsets V1.11.0 for the October 1, 2013 Release [ZIP, 8MB]
- MDS 3.0 CATs Specifications (V1.01.0) 10-21-2011 [ZIP, 419KB]
- RUG III Files & RUG IV Files [ZIP, 3MB]
- Page last Modified: 05/20/2013 9:11 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins