Asian American and Pacific Islander Outreach
Partnering with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is key to helping people with Medicare maximize their benefits. By partnering with CMS, you extend the reach and impact of many programs aimed to improve the health and wellness of seniors, people with disabilities, and even their caregivers or employers.
A partnership with CMS consists of organizations coming together around issues that affect a common population, like people with Medicare, and sometimes a common cause such as helping them understand their Medicare prescription drug benefits and helping them enroll in a plan that best meets their needs. CMS is working with its partners to educate and assist Medicare beneficiaries with decisions related to joining or changing prescription drug plans, as well as utilizing Medicare benefits such as preventive services (e.g., diabetes screening, cardiovascular screening, Hepatitis B shots, mammogram's, etc.). As a trusted source of information, you have a unique ability to connect with the people you serve, including those with Medicare. We need your help. Why not partner with us to reach the Asian-American/Pacific Islander Medicare population?
Reaching Out to the Asian-American and Pacific Islander Population
CMS and its partners work together to reach AAPI Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers. Our goal is to provide reliable, timely and understandable information and educational materials about Medicare health and prescription drug coverage and preventive benefits. When possible, we translate publications into AAPI languages to meet the needs of Medicare beneficiaries who have Limited English Proficiency.
We reach AAPI beneficiaries through the efforts of CMS' Central Office and 10 Regional Offices and our partners. CMS and its partners conduct outreach as follows:
- Participate in events such as health fairs, conferences, presentations, prescription drug plan enrollment events, and the Medicare bus (Mobile Office Tour) visits. At these events, CMS and partners present information, provide one-on-one assistance and share translated materials.
- Distribute important information about the Medicare program and upcoming events through press releases, ads in local AAPI papers and newsletters, radio and television presentations and interviews.
- Provide Medicare information and assistance directly to beneficiaries, families and caregivers via the 1-800-MEDICARE help-line.
- Provide information and assistance via the Internet at www.medicare.gov (including www.mymedicare.gov ) and on partners' Internet sites.
- Provide direct assistance with enrollment in a Medicare prescription plan, changing a plan and applying for extra help with Medicare prescription drug costs (low-income subsidy) through a multi-language help-line operated by our partner, the National Asian Pacific Center on Aging (NAPCA) The NAPCA help-line provides assistance in Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and English.
- NAPCA Multi-language Help-line phone numbers:
- Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin): 1-800-582-4218
- Korean: 1-800-582-4259
- Vietnamese: 1-800-582-4336
- English: 1-800-336-2722
- Page last Modified: 04/03/2013 1:41 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins