DMEPOS Competitive Bidding Program
Round One of the Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) Competitive Bidding Program went into effect on January 1, 2011 in nine areas of the country for nine product categories. In its first year of operation, the program saved Original Medicare over $200 million and resulted in better value for Medicare and beneficiaries, with lower prices and continued access to quality items from qualified suppliers. Medicare is required to recompete contracts at least once every three years. The current contracts in Round One areas will end on December 31, 2013. New contracts will go into effect in the same nine areas on January 1, 2014, There will also be some changes to the specific items that are part of the program in these areas starting on January 1, 2014.
In Round Two, the program expanded to an additional 91 areas of the country for some of the most expensive and frequently used DMEPOS items. At the same time, Medicare implemented a national mail order program for diabetic testing supplies. Both Round Two and the national mail order program went into effect on July 1, 2013.
Under the competitive bidding program, suppliers submit bids for certain medical equipment and supplies that must be lower than what Medicare now pays for these items. Medicare uses these bids to set the amount it will pay for those equipment and supplies under the new program. Qualified, accredited suppliers with winning bids are chosen as Medicare contract suppliers. When a round of the program goes into effect in an area, beneficiaries with Original Medicare who obtain program items the area will usually need to get these items from a contract supplier for that round if they want Medicare to help pay for the item, unless their current suppliers become grandfathered suppliers (non-contract suppliers that choose to continue to provide certain rented equipment under the terms of the program).
If beneficiaries have questions, they may call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), visit www.medicare.gov/supplier or call their State Health Insurance and Assistance Program (SHIP) for more information.
- Partner Training Presentation December 2013 [PPTX, 3MB]
- Partner Fact Sheet/Beneficiary Safeguards December 2013 [PDF, 187KB]
- Article- Round 1 Areas December 2013 [PDF, 126KB]
- Beneficiary Fact Sheet- Round 1 Areas November 2013 [PDF, 355KB]
- Beneficiary Letter - Round 1 Areas November 2013 [PDF, 48KB]
- Beneficiary Brochure - Round 1 Areas November 2013 [PDF, 3MB]
- Beneficiary Guide June 2013 [PDF, 671KB]
- Article- Round 2 (long) May 2013 [PDF, 241KB]
- Article- Round 2 (short) May 2013 [PDF, 153KB]
- Article- Traveling Beneficiary May 2013 [PDF, 178KB]
- Article- National Mail-Order Program May 2013 [PDF, 174KB]
- Beneficiary Letter- Round 2 Areas May 2013 [PDF, 159KB]
- Beneficiary Letter- National Mail-Order Program May 2013 [PDF, 83KB]
- Beneficiary Fact Sheet/National Mail-Order Program April 2013 [PDF, 208KB]
- Beneficiary Introductory Brochure April 2013 [PDF, 3MB]
- Traveling Beneficiary Conference Card April 2013 [PDF, 147KB]
- Partner FAQ March 2013 [PDF, 296KB]
- Partner Program Preview/Backgrounder May 2012 [PDF, 173KB]
- Page last Modified: 01/13/2014 3:41 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins