1-800-MEDICAR(E) Help Line
The help line services all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and Northern Mariana Islands. TTY/TDD 1-877-486-2048 service is available nationally for the hearing impaired. You can speak to an English or Spanish-speaking representative 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Call the Helpline to:
- Receive general information and printed materials on Medicare and the Medicare Health Plan options in your area as well as plan quality and satisfaction information in English or Spanish. The “Medicare Personal Plan Finder” can help you narrow down your Medicare health plan choices and choose the plan that’s best for you.
- Find out information about the new Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003.
- Receive information on the Medicare-approved drug discount card sponsors. The Medicare Perscription Drug Plan Finder tool on medicare.gov compares discounted drug prices, prescription drug plans, as well as the enrollment fees, and other program features.
- Find out the names of Medicare providers and suppliers in your area.
- Find out specific Medicare coverage information.
- Receive the Medicare & You handbook available in print, audiocassette for the hearing impaired, Large Print or Braille versions. Print and audiocassette versions are available in English or Spanish.
- Request various Medicare publications.
- Disenroll from Medicare + Choice organizations (managed care plans)
- Obtain phone numbers for SSA, your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), State Medicaid Office and more.
- Other Sources for Medicare Information:
- Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213 to apply for Medicare
- State Health Insurance Assistance Programs for free unbiased health insurance counseling and assistance
- Your Medicare carrier or intermediary for specific Medicare claim information, Medicare coverage issues, or to report suspected fraud and abuse
- Page last Modified: 02/27/2012 3:50 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins