Version 5010 Industry Resources
Version 5010 refers to the revised set of HIPAA electronic transaction standards adopted to replace the current Version 4010/4010A standards. Every standard has been updated, from claims to eligibility to referral authorizations.
As of January 1, 2012 all HIPAA covered entities must be compliant with Version 5010. Any electronic transaction for which a standard has been adopted must be submitted using Version 5010. Electronic transactions that do not use Version 5010 are not compliant with HIPAA and will be rejected.
HHS authorized an enforcement discretion period through June 30, 2012. During this time, CMS did not initiate enforcement action against any covered entity that was not compliant with the updated Version 5010/D.0 standards.
WEDI, CMS, many industry organizations, and stakeholders collaborated on a series of three webinars to help the entire health care industry become fully complaint in ASC X12 5010 implementation. A multi-tiered campaign was launched to gather feedback, track challenges, and identify and provide guidance to correcting ASC X12 5010 implementation-related issues, especially among commercial payers.
The last webinar was held on June 25, 2012. View the WEDI_CMS Power Point and audio recording from the webinar to learn more.
The online issues reporting tool is available to help address ongoing issues. Covered entities may continue to submit issues associated with implementing ASC X12 5010, and search through a database documented problems.
Version 5010 Resources
• FAQs: Versions 5010 and D.0 Transition Basics
Version 5010 Email Updates
- Versions 5010 and D.0 & 3.0
- Accredited Standards Committee (ASC X12) - Opens in a new window
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) - Opens in a new window
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) - Opens in a new window
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) - Opens in a new window
- American Medical Association (AMA) - Opens in a new window
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) - Opens in a new window
- National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP) - Opens in a new window
- National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics (NCVHS) - Opens in a new window
- Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI) - Opens in a new window
- Federal Register Final Rule - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 07/09/2012 2:50 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins