2014 Definition Stage 1 of Meaningful Use
The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs provide financial incentives for the meaningful use of certified EHR technology to improve patient care. To receive an EHR incentive payment, providers have to show that they are meaningfully using their EHRs by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives. The EHR Incentive Programs are phased in three stages with increasing requirements.
Eligible professionals participate in the program on the calendar year, while eligible hospitals and CAHs participate according to the federal fiscal year.
Providers must attest to demonstrating meaningful use every year to receive an incentive and avoid a Medicare payment adjustment.
Requirements for 2014 Definition Stage 1
In May 2014, CMS released an NPRM that would grant flexibility to providers who are experiencing difficulties fully implementing 2014 Edition certified EHR technology (CEHRT) to attest this year.
Providers scheduled to demonstrate Stage 1 in 2014 who have successfully implemented 2014 CEHRT would use 2014 Definition Stage 1 core and menu objectives.
Providers who are still using 2011 Edition CEHRT or a combination of 2011 and 2014 Editions and choose to report 2013 Definition Stage 1 core and menu objectives should visit the 2013 Definition Stage 1 of Meaningful Use webpage .
Criteria for providers demonstrating the 2014 Definition of Stage 1 is listed below.
Eligible professionals must meet:
- 13 required core objectives
- 5 menu objectives from a list of 9
- Total of 18 objectives
Eligible hospitals and CAHs must meet:
- 11 required core objectives
- 5 menu objectives from a list of 10
- Total of 16 objectives
What are the requirements for Stage 2 of Meaningful Use?
Visit the Stage 2 page for detailed information about the Stage 2 requirements.
Clinical Quality Measures
Eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and CAHs are required to report clinical quality measures (CQMs) during each year of participation in order to receive an incentive. Visit the Clinical Quality Measures Basics page to learn more about the options for CQM submission in 2014.
2014 Definition Resources
- Stage 1 Changes 2014
- Meaningful Use Attestation Calculator (version 1)
- Eligible Professional 2014 Definition Spec Sheets
- Eligible Hospital 2014 Definition Spec Sheets
- Stage 1 Eligible Professional Attestation Worksheet (2014 Definition)
- Stage 1 Eligible Hospital and CAH Attestation Worksheet (2014 Definition)
- An Introduction to the EHR Incentive Programs for Medicaid Eligible Professionals
- An Introduction to the EHR Incentive Programs for Medicare Eligible Professionals
- Patient Electronic Access Tipsheet
- Public Health Registry Tipsheet
Visit the Educational Resources page to find additional resources.
- Stage 1 Meaningful Use (2014 definition) Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Table of Contents [PDF, 302KB]
- Eligible Professional Stage 1 Meaningful Use (2014 definition) Specification Sheets - ZIP FILE [ZIP, 6MB]
- Stage 1 Eligible Professional Attestation Worksheet (2014 Edition) [PDF, 548KB]
- Stage 1 Meaningful Use (2014 definition) Eligible Hospital and CAH Meaningful Use Table of Contents [PDF, 486KB]
- Eligible Hospital Stage 1 Meaningful Use (2014 definition) Specification Sheets - ZIP FILE [ZIP, 7MB]
- Stage 1 Eligible Hospital and CAH Attestation Worksheet (2014 Edition) [PDF, 520KB]
- CAH Payment Tip Sheet [PDF, 188KB]
- Security Risk Assessment Fact Sheet [PDF, 914KB]
- Guide for Eligible Professionals Practicing in Multiple Locations [PDF, 542KB]
- Stage 1 Changes 2014 [PDF, 966KB]
- Page last Modified: 07/18/2014 1:00 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins