Payment Adjustments & Hardship Exceptions
In the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), Congress mandated that payment adjustments should be applied to Medicare eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) that are not meaningful users of Certified Electronic Health Record (EHR) Technology under the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
If a provider is eligible to participate in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program, they must demonstrate meaningful use in either the Medicare EHR Incentive Program or in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, to avoid a payment adjustment. Medicaid providers who are only eligible to participate in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program are not subject to these payment adjustments.
Medicare hospitals began to receive payment adjustments on October 1, 2014, and Medicare eligible professionals will begin to receive payment adjustments on January 1, 2015.
Eligible Professional Reconsideration Form
If you feel the Eligible Professional is subject to the payment adjustment for Medicare in error, please refer to the following instructions and application to apply for payment adjustment reconsideration for Fiscal Year 2015:
- Eligible Professional Payment Adjustment Reconsideration Instructions
- Eligible Professional Payment Adjustment Reconsideration Application
Hardship Exceptions to Avoid Medicare Payment Adjustments
Eligible professionals and eligible hospitals may be exempt from payment adjustments if they can show that demonstrating meaningful use would result in a significant hardship. To be considered for an exception, an eligible professional or eligible hospital must complete a Hardship Exception application along with proof of the hardship. If approved, the hardship exception is valid for 1 payment year only. A new application must be submitted if the hardship continues for the following payment year. In no case may a provider be granted an exception for more than 5 years.
Eligible professionals can use the Hardship Exception Tool to determine if they will avoid the upcoming 2015 and 2016 Medicare EHR Incentive Program payment adjustments by demonstrating meaningful use, or if they should apply for a hardship exception.
Eligible Professional (EP) Hardship Exception Application
- 2015 Eligible Professional Hardship application deadline was July 1, 2014
- 2016 Eligible Professional Hardship application will be available soon.
Eligible Hospitals Hardship Exception Application
- 2015 Eligible Hospital Hardship application deadline was April 1, 2014
- 2016 Eligible Hospital Hardship application will be available soon.
Not All Providers Apply for Hardship Exceptions
Some providers will automatically be granted a hardship exception. CMS will use Medicare data on these providers to determine their hardship exception.
The following providers do not need to submit a hardship application:
- New providers to the profession in their first year (both eligible professionals and eligible hospitals)
- Eligible professionals who are hospital-based: a provider is considered hospital-based if he or she provides more than 90% of their covered professional services in either an inpatient (Place of Service 21) or emergency department (Place of Service 23) of a hospital*
- Eligible professionals in which 90% of their claims include Place of Service 21, Place of Service 23 and certain observation services using Place of Service 22.
- Eligible professionals with certain PECOS specialties (05-Anesthesiology, 22-Pathology, 30-Diagnostic Radiology, 36-Nuclear Medicine, 94-Interventional Radiology) 6 months prior to the first day of the payment adjustments. Eligible professionals should verify that their PECOS specialty is up to date.
*Please register in the CMS Registration & Attestation System to determine hospital-based status. .
- Payment Adjustments & Hardship Exceptions Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals [PDF, 215KB]
- 2014 CEHRT HE Guidance for Eligible Professionals [PDF, 203KB]
- Payment Adjustment Form Hardship Exception Tip Sheet for Hospitals [PDF, 202KB]
- 2014 CEHRT HE Guidance for Hospitals [PDF, 232KB]
- CAH Payment Adjustment and Hardship Exception Tipsheet [PDF, 309KB]
- Page last Modified: 12/17/2014 12:36 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins