Registration & Attestation
Note for Medicaid Eligible Professionals: Some states have not yet opened their Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, Eligible Professionals will not be able to register for a Medicaid EHR Incentive Program until their state's program has launched and that state's site has opened. Information on when registration will be available for specific states is posted at Medicaid State Information.
Note for Eligible Hospitals that register for "Both Medicare & Medicaid": You may pre-register for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program before your state launches, but you will be placed in a "pending state validation" status for eligibility in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program. You will not be able to complete the Medicaid program eligibility requirements or receive a Medicaid incentive payment until your state’s program is launched. You may, however, continue with registration and attestation for the Medicare program. For a list of expected program launch dates, please visit the Medicaid State Information page.
Are you registering or attesting on behalf of an Eligible Professional?
CMS allows an eligible professional to designate a third party to register and attest on his or her behalf. To do so, users working on behalf of an eligible professional must have an Identity and Access Management System (I&A) web user account (User ID/Password), and be associated to the eligible professional's National Provider Identifier (NPI). If you are working on behalf of one or more eligible professionals and do not have an I&A web user account, please visit I&A Security Check to create one. (Note: States will not necessarily offer the same functionality for registration and attestation in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program. Check with your State to see what functionality will be offered.)
Official User Guides
Below are step-by-step guides to help you register and attest for EHR Incentive Programs. These official guides provide easy instructions for using the CMS Registration & Attestation system, helpful tips and screenshots to walk you through the process, and important information that you will need in order to successfully register and attest. Please download the guide that best fits your needs:
- Registration User Guide for Medicare Eligible Professionals
- Registration User Guide for Medicaid Eligible Professionals
- Registration User Guide for All Eligible Hospitals
Attestation User Guides:
- 2014 Stage 1 Attestation User Guide for Eligible Professionals
- 2013 Stage 1 Attestation User Guide for Eligible Professionals
- Stage 1 Attestation User Guide for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
- Stage 2 Attestation User Guide for Eligible Professionals
- Stage 2 Attestation User Guide for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
- Batch Reporting User Guide
Note: While all providers begin their registration through the CMS Registration & Attestation System, Medicaid eligible professionals and Medicaid-only eligible hospitals must attest though their State Medicaid Agency’s website. Please visit our Medicaid State Information page to learn more.
We also have a variety of webinar tutorials that can guide you through the registration and attestation process:
- Hospitals - This tutorial will provide Eligible Hospitals with a step-by-step guide to help ensure the registration process is a success.(A transcript of this webinar is available.)
- Attestation Webinar for Medicare Eligible Professionals – A step-by-step guide for Medicare Eligible Professionals who are ready to attest to meaningful use.
- Attestation Webinar for Medicare Eligible Hospitals – A step-by-step guide for Eligible Hospitals that are ready to attest to meaningful use.
Before you attest, use these resources to organize your information and to make sure your attestation will be successful:
- Meaningful Use Attestation Calculator – Enter your information in this calculator before you attest to see if you are successful. Find out if you have met all the requirements of meaningful use before you submit your attestation to CMS.
- Stage 1 Eligible Professional Attestation Worksheet (2014 Edition) – Take the guesswork out of attestation. Use this simple worksheet to organize your numerator, denominator, and exclusion information in one convenient place so that attestation is an easy process.
- Stage 1 Eligible Hospital and CAH Attestation Worksheet (2014 Edition) – A simple worksheet to organize your numerator, denominator, and exclusion information in one convenient place.
Eligible professionals and eligible hospitals and CAHs also have the option to submit their group’s attestation information using the batch reporting option. For more information about batch reporting for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program, visit the Attestation Batch Upload webpage.
Audits and Appeals
Any provider that receives an EHR incentive payment for either the Medicare EHR Incentive Program or the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program potentially may be subject to an audit.
CMS is now accepting appeals for eligible professionals and eligible hospitals.
To formally file an appeal:
The Electronic Health Record (EHR) Information Center is open to assist you with all of your registration and attestation system inquiries.
EHR Information Center Hours of Operation:
7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (Central Time) Monday through Friday, except federal holidays.
1-888-734-6433* (primary number) *(press option 1) or 888-734-6563 (TTY number)
- Registration User Guide for Hospital Eligible Hospitals [PDF, 6MB]
- Eligible Hospitals [PDF, 15MB]
- Stage 1 Attestation User Guide for Eligible Professionals [PDF, 15MB]
- Stage 1 Eligible Professional Attestation Worksheet (2014 Edition) [PDF, 548KB]
- Stage 1 Eligible Hospital and CAH Attestation Worksheet (2014 Edition) [PDF, 520KB]
- EHR Registration, Attestation, and PECOS Checklist [PDF, 188KB]
- Medicare EHR Incentive Program Attestation Webinar for Eligible Hospitals - Opens in a new window
- Medicare EHR Incentive Program Attestation Webinar for Eligible Professionals - Opens in a new window
- Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Registration Webinar for Eligible Hospitals - Opens in a new window
- Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Registration Webinar for Eligible Professionals - Opens in a new window
- Meaningful Use Attestation Calculator - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 10/14/2014 8:54 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins