Below is an easy reference guide for determining if a drug, device, biological, or medical supply purchasing entity is an applicable group purchasing organization (GPO) in accordance with Open Payments.
Note that if the entity does not meet these characteristics, the entity is not determined to be an applicable GPO.
Applicable Group Purchasing Organization
Operate in the United States
Physical location within the United States or conducts activities within the United States (includes any territory, possession or commonwealth of the United States)
Purchases, arranges for or negotiates the purchase of a covered drug, device, biological, or medical supply for a group of individuals or entities, but not solely for use by the entity itself
Reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid or Children’s Health Insurance Program
For drugs and biologicals,requires a prescription (or doctor’s authorization) to administer
For devices and medical supplies, requires premarket approval or premarket notification by the FDA
Teaching Hospital Listing
Refer to the Teaching Hospital webpage to access a listing of all teaching hospitals to be reported on (note that there are currently two versions of this list: one for 2013 reporting and one for 2014).
- 2013 Open Payments Cycle: Teaching Hospital List [May 2013] [PDF, 797KB]
- 2013 Open Payments Cycle: Teaching Hospital List [May 2013, XLS] [ZIP, 104KB]
- 2013 Open Payments Program Year: Supplement to Teaching Hospital List [Oct 2013] [PDF, 674KB]
- 2014 Open Payments Cycle: Teaching Hospital List [October 2013] [PDF, 700KB]
- 2014 Open Payments Cycle: Teaching Hospital List [October 2013, XLS] [XLSX, 391KB]
- Page last Modified: 08/28/2014 11:00 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins