Creating Public Transparency of Industry-Physician Financial Relationships
The Official Website for Open Payments (Physician Payments Sunshine Act)
Open Payments creates greater transparency around the financial relationships of manufacturers, physicians, and teaching hospitals. The program requires that the following information is reported annually to CMS:
- Applicable manufacturers of covered drugs, devices, biologicals, and medical supplies to report payments or other transfers of value they make to physicians and teaching hospitals to CMS.
- Applicable manufacturers and applicable group purchasing organizations (GPOs) to report to CMS certain ownership or investment interests held by physicians or their immediate family members.
- Applicable GPOs to report to CMS payments or other transfers of value made to physician owners or investors if they held ownership or an investment interest at any point during the reporting year.
CMS will collect this data, aggregate it, and publish it on a public website. CMS is committed to publishing the most accurate data possible, and supporting applicable manufacturers, applicable GPOs, and covered recipients for Open Payments.
About this Site
This website is your one-stop-shop for information about the Open Payments program. Review the categories in the left navigation to learn about the program, how it works, and the resources available to help you meet the program requirements. Check back often for updated tools and resources, plus announcements of future webinars, calls, and meetings.
The information on this site is a summary of the final rule published February 8, 2013 implementing the National Physician Payment Transparency Program (Medicare, Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance Programs; Transparency Reports and Reporting of Physician Ownership or Investment Interests [CMS-5060-F], codified at 42 CFR Parts 402 and 403). The summary is not intended to take the place of the final rule, which is the official source for information on the program.
- Page last Modified: 11/22/2013 9:31 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins