XLC Process Overview
CMS is committed to strengthening its system development life cycle processes. With the increasing need to respond quickly to business demands, CMS created the Expedited Life Cycle (XLC) to help coordinate and develop IT projects.
KEY BENEFITS FOR THE PROJECT TEAM
- Flexibility: through reviews and oversight tailored to project complexity you will have the ability to move faster on simpler projects that carry less risk.
- Enhanced process clarity: through the Project Process Agreement (PPA), completed in the beginning stages of your project and then refined as the project is underway, you will know exactly what you need to do and when.
- Enhanced support: the Division of IT Governance (DITG) and other support staff can help you through the process and avoid pitfalls and problems early.
- Enhanced predictability: by providing oversight and support early in the project’s life cycle, we will help you avoid costly and time consuming issues down the road. The integration of your project into the CMS system—including security and privacy needs—will be significantly smoother and more transparent.
The CMS XLC Detailed Description Document provides detailed information regarding all aspects of the XLC. The intention of this website is to communicate general concepts and provide easy access to the tools you need to do your work.
For assistance or for more information, contact us.
- XLC Swim Lane Graphic [PDF, 97KB]
- XLC Iterative Development Graphic [PDF, 396KB]
- XLC Detailed Description Document [DOCX, 1MB]
- XLC Executive Overview [PDF, 376KB]
- XLC Guidelines for Agile Projects [DOCX, 5MB]
- XLC Process Change Request (CR) [DOCX, 29KB]
- Selecting a Development Approach [PDF, 120KB]
- Technical Review Board Charter [PDF, 334KB]
- CMS Testing Framework Overview [DOCX, 260KB]
- Page last Modified: 11/10/2014 3:33 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins