Chronic Conditions Overview
The Office of Information Products and Data Analytics (OIPDA), within the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), has developed a set of information products and analytics examining chronic conditions among Medicare
fee-for-service beneficiaries. OIPDA produces this information to provide researchers and policymakers a better understanding of the burden of chronic conditions among beneficiaries and the implications for our health care system. Information on prevalence, utilization, and Medicare spending for specific chronic conditions and multiple chronic conditions demonstrates the overall burden and complexity of chronic conditions among Medicare beneficiaries and can be used to identify high risk Medicare beneficiaries, as well as inform policy makers and providers about resource utilization of patients with chronic diseases.
Several resources are available to researchers, policymakers, and other users who are interested in learning more about chronic conditions among Medicare beneficiaries, including tabular geographic data reports (data years 2008-2012), interactive dashboards (data year 2012) as well as maps and charts.
Inquiries regarding this data can be sent to MedicareChronicConditions@cms.hhs.gov.
- Medicare Geographic Variation
- HHS Initiative on Multiple Chronic Conditions - Opens in a new window
- MMRR Data Brief: “Multiple Chronic Conditions Among Medicare Beneficiaries: State-level Variations in Prevalence, Utilization, and Cost, 2011” - Opens in a new window
- Preventing Chronic Disease Journal, April 2013 issue, featuring MCC - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 05/08/2014 5:13 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins