The Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services annually produces projections of health care spending for categories within the National Health Expenditure Accounts, which track health spending by source of funds (for example, private health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid),by type of service (hospital, physician, prescription drugs, etc.), and by sponsor (businesses, households, governments). The latest projections begin after the latest historical year (2010) and go through 2021.
The 2008-2018 NHE projection was updated and extended in the summer of 2009 in order to take into account relevant subsequent legislation (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act) and to act as a baseline for the Office of the Actuary's cost estimates for national health reform proposals. See downloads below.
- NHE Projections 2011-2021 [PDF, 907KB]
- NHE Historical and projections, 1965-2021 [ZIP, 22KB]
- Projections methodology [PDF, 249KB]
- Accuracy analysis of the short-term (11-year) national health expenditure projections [PDF, 138KB]
- A Comparison of April 2010 Projections and June 2012 Projections [PDF, 181KB]
- Updated and Extended National Health Expenditure Projections, 2010-2019 (memorandum dated June 29, 2009; based on 2008-2018 NHE projection) [PDF, 63KB]
- Page last Modified: 06/14/2012 1:35 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins