The Medicare Program is the second-largest social insurance program in the U.S. The Boards of Trustees for Medicare (also Boards) report annually to the Congress on the financial operations and actuarial status of the program. Beginning in 2002, there is one combined report discussing both the Hospital Insurance program (Medicare Part A) and the Supplementary Medical Insurance program (Medicare Part B and Prescription Drug Coverage). The Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) prepares the report under the direction of the Boards.
The Trustees Report is a detailed, lengthy document, containing a substantial amount of information on the past and estimated future financial operations of the Hospital Insurance and Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds (see the links in the Downloads section below). We recommend that readers begin with the "Overview" section of the report. This section is fairly short, is written in "plain English," and summarizes all the key information concerning the expected financial outlook for Medicare. Substantial additional material is available in the later sections for those wishing to delve more deeply into the actuarial projections.
The following expanded and supplementary tables have been provided to accompany the report.
- Components of Historical and Projected Increases in HI Inpatient Hospital Payments
- Part B Components of Increases in Total Allowed Charges per Fee-for -Service Enrollee for Carrier Services
- Part B Components of Increases in Recognized Charges and Costs per Fee-for-Service Enrollee for Intermediary Services
- HI and SMI Average per Beneficiary Costs
- HI and SMI Incurred Expenditures as a Percentage of the Gross Domestic Product
- HI Cost and Income Rates
- Historical Operations of the Hospital Insurance (HI) Trust Fund For Calendar Years
- Historical Operations of the Part B Account of the Supplementary Medical Insurance (SMI) Trust Fund For Calendar Years
- Historical Operations of the Part D Account of the Supplementary Medical Insurance (SMI) Trust Fund For Calendar Years
- Historical Operations of the Supplementary Medical Insurance (SMI) Trust Fund For Calendar Years
- Medicare Enrollment by Part and in Total
- Medicare Sources of Income as a Percentage of Total Income
- Ratio of Assets at the Beginning of the Year to Expenditures During the Year for the HI Trust Fund
- Ratio of HI Covered Workers to HI Beneficiaries
- Ratio of HI Taxable Payroll to GDP
- Relationship between Increases in HI Expenditures and Increases in Taxable Payroll
- Total Medicare Income, Expenditures and Trust Fund Assets during Calendar Years 1967-2011
- Part A reimbursement amounts by type of service on a cash basis
See downloads below.