Alabama Rate Review Grants Award List
Cycle I Grant Application Summary
Alabama Grantee: Alabama Department of Insurance
Award Date: August 16, 2010
Award Amount: $1,000,000
- Pursue Additional Legislative Authority: Currently, Alabama’s Department of Insurance has very limited health insurance premium authority - restricted to reviewing premiums proposed by Blue Cross Blue Shield and HMOs. The Department of Insurance will introduce legislation during the 2011 session that seeks the authority to review and approve health insurance premiums in the individual and small group market.
- Expand the Scope of the Review Process: Alabama will expand the scope of its health insurance premium review to include additional health insurance companies and new lines of business.
- Improve the Review Process: Alabama plans significant improvements to its limited review authority. The State proposes to develop a new review unit in the Department of Insurance. Alabama also intends to develop and implement new regulations and establish a standardized filing and review process.
- Increase Transparency and Accessibility: Alabama is currently limited in the information it is allowed to publish. The State will seek legislative authority to post consumer-friendly summaries of health insurance premium reviews, develop toolkits for consumers and conduct town hall meetings for consumer education.
- Develop and Upgrade Technology: Alabama will upgrade its existing systems to assist in reviewing health insurance
Back to Map