Office of Financial Management
Megan Worstell, Director and CMS Chief Financial Officer
John Czajkowski, Deputy Director
Business Operations Staff
Janet Tierney, Director
Budget and Analysis Group
Jennifer Carter, Director; Julie Botterill, Deputy Director
Division of Program Budget - Nicholas Grice, Director; Amber Power, Deputy Director
Division of Budget Formulation and Presentation - Robert Storey, Director; Craig Dash, Deputy Director
Division of Administrative Budget and Execution - Chris Currence, Director; Torian Henderson, Deputy Director
Accounting Management Group
Marie Montilla, Director and Deputy Chief Financial Officer; Lataysheia Lance, Deputy Director
Division of Accounting Operations - Janet Loftus, Director; Vacant, Deputy Director
Division of Accounting Systems - Kurt Pleines, Director; Vacant, Deputy Director
Division of Financial Reporting and Policy - Lataysheia Lance, Acting Director; IIeana Lund, Deputy Director
Division of Financial Oversight and Internal Controls - Floyd Epps, Director; Vacant, Deputy Director
Division of Premium Billing and Collections - Bernita James, Director; Raliana Vendrell-Stover, Acting Deputy Director
Division of Travel Policy and Operations - Suzanne Milihram, Director; Billie Jo Brown, Deputy Director
Division of External Audit Management – Jerry Andersen, Director
Financial Services Group
Olivia Williams, Acting Director
Tracy Richardson, Deputy Director
Division of Financial Services and Debt Management - Carol Knott, Acting Director; Shelvon Costley, Acting Deputy Director
Division of Provider Audit Operations - Patrick Fisher, Director; Vacant, Deputy Director
Division of Medicare Debt Resolution - Suzanne Mattes, Director; Casey Welzant, Deputy Director
Division of MSP Program Operations - Steve Forry, Director; Jackie Cipa, Deputy Director
Division of Financial Audit and Resolution - Lauren Cannon, Acting Director; Bilal Farrakh, Acting Deputy Director
Financial Management Systems Group
Chris Martin, Director
Bernice Pendley, Deputy Director
Division of Program and Support Systems - Ed Klein, Director; Leslie Engel, Deputy Director
Division of Financial Applications Systems - Sandra Messersmith, Director; Michelle Lin, Acting Deputy Director
Division of Program and Data Management - Joseph Hong, Director; Lauren Bohrer, Deputy Director
Division of Technical Operations - Amit Sharma, Director; Diane Matter, Deputy Director
Division of Information Systems Security - Conrad Bovell, Director
Payment Accuracy and Reporting Group
Chrissy Fowler – Director
Ben Moll, Deputy Director
Division of Comprehensive Error Rate Testing - Jill Garver, Director
Division of Payment Error Rate Measurement - Chrissy Fowler, Acting Director, Nicholas Bonomo, Deputy Director
Division of Exchange Error Rate Measurement - Belinda Gravel, Director
- Serves as the Chief Financial Officer and Comptroller for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Manages the preparation and audit of CMS financial statements, and issues the annual Agency Financial Report, in accordance with the requirements of the Chief Financial Officers (CFO) Act.
- Formulates, presents and executes all CMS budget accounts, develops outlay plans and tracks contract and grant award amounts; acts as liaison with the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) on budget estimates; reviews demonstration waivers (except 1115) for revenue neutrality. Is responsible for ensuring that the budget is formulated in accordance with CMS' strategic plan and the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) goals and performance measures.
- Acts as liaison to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Assistant Secretary for Financial Resources, Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and the Congressional appropriations committees for all matters concerning CMS' operating budget.
- Manages the Medicare financial management system, the Medicare contractors' budget, Quality Improvement Organizations' budgets, research budgets, managed care payments, the issuance of State Medicaid grants, and the funding of the State survey certification and the Clinical Laboratory and Improvement Act programs. Is responsible for all CMS disbursements.
- Maintains CMS financial data and prepares external reports to other agencies such as HHS, Treasury, OMB, Internal Revenue Service, General Services Administration, related to CMS' obligations, expenditures, prompt payment activities, debt and cash management, and other administrative functions.
- Performs cash management activities and establishes and maintains systems to control the obligation of funds and ensure that the Anti-Deficiency Act is not violated.
- Manages the Medicare Secondary Payer Program and Medicare Debt Resolution activities.
- Develops CMS policies governing both Medicare Secondary Payer and Medicaid Third Party Liability.
- Oversees the Medicare fee-for-service and the Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program improper payment measurement programs to measure payment accuracy.
- Develops and publishes the Medicare Fee-For-Service, Medicaid, and Children's Health Insurance Error Rate. Develops improper payment measurement methodologies to report related Marketplaces and related programs.
- Manages, develops, and enhances CMS' core financial management system, the Healthcare Integrated General Ledger Accounting System (HIGLAS), which tracks the financial activity and transactions of all CMS' programs.
- Manages the development to maintain information technology program systems that support accounting operations, for the Medicare Benefits, Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP), Marketplace, Medicaid, Children Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Grants, and Administrative Program Accounting (APA) lines of business.
- Coordinates the development and monitoring of all audit corrective action plans (CAPs) and the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) clearance documents that address each OIG and the Government Accountability Office agreed upon recommendations.
- Develops an enterprise risk assessment program to better support CMS programs.
- Works collaboratively with components and contracting officials to review contract language and contract cost estimates in order to develop contract-specific performance and financial information.
- Coordinates performance management and promotes the use of Agency performance measures to foster a more results-orientated performance culture through CMS.
- Ensures compliance with a number of agency performance requirements such as the Government Performance and Results Act of 1983 (GPRA) and the GPRA Modernization Act, OMB program analysis and the Department strategic plan priorities.