The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Delaware Rate Review Grants Award List
Cycle I Grant Application Summary
Delaware Grantee: The Delaware Department of Insurance
Award Date: August 16, 2010
Award Amount: $1,000,000
- Improve the Review Process: Delaware currently prospectively reviews all health insurance premium increases. The State will develop new premium filing requirements and improve its ability to review health insurance premiums by adding additional staff to do the reviews.
- Increase Transparency and Accessibility: Delaware currently only discloses premium filings upon request. The State will post premium filings on its website and develop other enhancements including a new rate comparison feature. Additionally, Delaware will host public meetings and hearings on proposed premium increases.
- Develop and Upgrade Technology: Delaware will improve its ability to review health insurance premiums through analytic software and systems enhancement. The State will also include interactive rate comparison feature on its website.
Cycle IV Grant Application Summary
Delaware Grantee: Delaware Department of Insurance
Award Date: September 19, 2014
Total Award: $1,178,976
- Expand Scope of Rate Review: Delaware will develop additional tools for premium rate comparisons, including comparisons of multiple years of Unified Rate Review Template information to enhance the rate review process and provide rate information that will give a better picture of Delaware’s individual and small group markets. Delaware will study the history of rates, enrollment, benefit patterns, actuarial values, and expenses to include compliance for state QHP standards both inside and outside the Marketplace.
- Improve the Quality/Efficiency of Rate Review: Delaware plans to improve the data/information repository capability support for the rate review process by developing a more comprehensive database/repository for collection, analysis, and reporting of critical information about rate review decisions and trends, including the approval and disapproval of proposed rate increases. The database will incorporate detailed information about rates, enrollment, benefit patterns, actuarial values, and expenses for each medical insurer that has enrollees residing in Delaware. Data from new Marketplace QHPs will be included in the research and included in ongoing rate analysis and modeling.
- Enhance Consumer Outreach: Delaware will provide consumers with tools to compare premiums between issuers, costs for specific benefits, and historical trending of costs. Delaware will also improve its current website to allow consumers to find useful information about rate levels and rate increases, and to understand insurance terms and concepts.
- November 5, 2019 FAQ: Quality Rating Information Bulletin’s (Quality Bulletin’s) Display Guidelines for Direct Enrollment (DE) Entities
- November 1, 2019 Enhanced Direct Enrollment Approved Partners (Updated)
- September 11, 2019 FAQ: Enhanced Direct Enrollment Participation Requirements for Non-Issuer of a Primary EDE Entity Environment
- August 15, 2019 Quality Rating Information Bulletin for Plan Year 2020 Health Insurance Exchanges Quality Rating System (QRS) for Plan Year (PY) 2019: Results at a Glance
- April 18, 2019 CMS-9926-F: Final HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 Final 2020 Letter to Issuers on Federally-facilitated Exchanges Key Dates for Calendar Year 2019: QHP Certification in the FFEs; Rate Review; Risk Adjustment
- April 4, 2019 Guidance on Unified Rate Review Timeline: Timing of Submission of Rate Filing Justifications for the 2019 Filing Year for Single Risk Pool Coverage Effective on or after January 1, 2020
- March 19, 2019 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator Methodology
- March 6, 2019 CMS-9921-NC: Request for Information Regarding the Sale of Individual Health Insurance Coverage Across State Lines Through Health Care Choice Compacts
- February 28, 2019 Section 1332 Pass-through Funding Tools and Resources