Funding to Support Options Counseling for Medicare-Medicaid Enrollees
09/30/16 - Updated funding opportunity announcement (FOA) information.
On September 30, 2016, CMS released a funding opportunity announcement (FOA) to support demonstration ombudsman programs and one-on-one counseling services in states participating in the Medicare-Medicaid Financial Alignment Initiative. This announcement will provide eligible states with an additional two years of funding for these two separate-but-related beneficiary support programs:
- Ombudsman programs provide beneficiaries with person-centered assistance to resolve problems. Ombudsman programs also inform states, plans, CMS, and other stakeholders regarding trends and identify areas for improvement within the demonstrations.
- One-on-one counseling programs, such as State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) and Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs), conduct outreach and provide education and assistance to beneficiaries regarding their insurance options.
This FOA is a continuation of the support for both ombudsman and one-on-one counseling programs that has been part of the Financial Alignment Initiative since its inception to ensure robust beneficiary supports in all demonstrations.
The FOA can be accessed by using the following link: http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html and search for CFDA 93.634.
Previous Awards Made
All SHIP/ADRC awards are for a three year period that begins with the date of award. Additional funding became available in 2014 for states that were serving a different service area or target population.
- California - $2,000,000 (June 2013, $1,000,000); (May 2015, $1,000,000)
- Illinois - $394,932 (August, 2013)
- Massachusetts - $250,000 (March, 2013)
- Michigan - $630,000 (May, 2015)
- New York - $695,572 (December, 2014)
- Rhode Island - $428,766 (December, 2015)
- Virginia - $793,462 (August 2013, $236,340); (December 2014, $557,122)
- Washington - $114,240 (December, 2012)
- Page last Modified: 01/04/2018 10:05 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins