- CMS ICD-10 Conversion Activities National Provider Teleconference - Including a Lab Case Study
Since this video was published, HHS has issued a rule finalizing October 1, 2015 as the new compliance date for health care providers, health plans, and health care clearinghouses to transition to ICD-10.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) hosted a national provider teleconference on "CMS ICD-10 Conversion Activities". Subject matter experts discussed the ICD-10 conversion process currently taking place within CMS, including a case study from the CMS Coverage and Analysis Group on their transition to ICD-10 for the lab national coverage determinations (NCDs). A question and answer session followed the presentations.
The following topics were discussed:
- ICD-10 overview - Pat Brooks
- Lab NCDs conversion process from ICD-9-CM to 1CD-10-CM - Lisa Eggleston and Jeff Roche
- Home health conversion - Joan Proctor
- OASIS and procedure code reporting - Robin Dowell
- Update on claims spanning the implementation date - Sarah Shirey-Losso
- National ICD-10 implementation issues - Denise Buenning
To access the 4 podcasts and corresponding transcripts, complete audio file, complete written transcript, and slide presentation, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Downloads section, and select the appropriate link.
A video slideshow of the presentation is also available on the CMS YouTube Channel that includes the call audio recording and captioning. To access the slideshow, scroll to the bottom of the page to Related Links Outside CMS.
Continuing Education Credits
Continuing education credits may be awarded by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) for participation in CMS National Provider Conference Calls.
Continuing Education Information for American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
If you have attended or are planning to attend a CMS National Provider Conference Call, you should be aware that CMS does not provide certificates of attendance for these calls. Instead, the AAPC will accept your e-mailed confirmation and call description as proof of participation. Please retain a copy of your e-mailed confirmation for these calls as the AAPC will request them for any conference call you entered into your CEU Tracker if you are chosen for CEU verification. Members are awarded one (1) CEU per hour of participation.
Continuing Education Information for American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
AHIMA credential-holders may claim 1 CEU per 60 minutes of attendance at an educational program. Maintain documentation about the program for verification purposes in the event of an audit. A program does not need to be pre-approved by AHIMA, nor does a CEU certificate need to be provided, in order to claim AHIMA CEU credit. For detailed information about AHIMA's CEU requirements, see the Recertification Guide on AHIMA's web site.
Please note: The statements above are standard language provided to CMS by the AAPC and the AHIMA. If you have any questions concerning either statement, please contact the respective organization, not CMS.
- Podcast 1of 4: Welcome and ICD-10 Overview [ZIP, 13MB]
- Podcast 2 of 4: Case Study on Translating the Lab NCDs [ZIP, 20MB]
- Podcast 3 of 4: ICD-10 Updates from CMS Subject Matter Experts [ZIP, 16MB]
- Slide Presentation [PDF, 961KB]
- Complete Written Transcript [PDF, 137KB]
Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins