Public Comments on Surveys
Public Comments on Competitive Bidding Surveys
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is soliciting comments on questions to ask in surveys conducted to key stakeholders (e.g., beneficiaries, contract suppliers, and referral agents), which will be utilized to further strengthen the monitoring, outreach, and enforcement functions of the Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) Competitive Bidding Program. The surveys are intended to assess, at a minimum, if the:
- Item/service was received.
- Supplier furnished an item the beneficiary did not want or need.
- Beneficiary/referral agents had difficulty locating a contract supplier to provide the necessary item(s).
- Beneficiary out of pocket expense exceeded the 20% coinsurance.
- Beneficiary experienced delays in receiving the item/service.
- Beneficiary had difficulty accessing the supplier for any follow up needs, such as answering questions, repairing or maintaining the equipment, or delivering replacement accessories or, if applicable, oxygen tanks.
- Item/service was compliant with the physician’s written order.
- Quality/durability/performance of the item does not meet Medicare quality standards.
- Service provided by the supplier did not meet Medicare quality standards.
- Contract supplier has concerns related to competitive bidding that are not attributed to general medical documentation requirements.
Additionally, CMS is soliciting comments on effective methods for contacting referral agents as they play a critical role in assisting beneficiaries in obtaining competitively bid DMEPOS items.
To submit a comment, please email it to DMEPOS@cms.hhs.gov - Opens in a new window . In order for your comment to be considered, you must type “Competitive Bidding Surveys” as the subject line for your email. Only comments submitted by 11:59:59 PM Prevailing Eastern Time on December 20, 2019, with the subject line above will be considered.