The Medicare Modernization Act (MMA) requires entities (whose policies include prescription drug coverage) to notify Medicare eligible policyholders whether their prescription drug coverage is creditable coverage, which means that the coverage is expected to pay on average as much as the standard Medicare prescription drug coverage. For these entities, there are two disclosure requirements:
- The first disclosure requirement is to provide a written disclosure notice to all Medicare eligible individuals annually who are covered under its prescription drug plan, prior to October 15th each year and at various times as stated in the regulations, including to a Medicare eligible individual when he/she joins the plan. This disclosure must be provided to Medicare eligible active working individuals and their dependents, Medicare eligible COBRA individuals and their dependents, Medicare eligible disabled individuals covered under your prescription drug plan and any retirees and their dependents. The MMA imposes a late enrollment penalty on individuals who do not maintain creditable coverage for a period of 63 days or longer following their initial enrollment period for the Medicare prescription drug benefit. Accordingly, this information is essential to an individual's decision whether to enroll in a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan.
- The second disclosure requirement is for entities to complete the Online Disclosure to CMS Form to report the creditable coverage status of their prescription drug plan. The Disclosure should be completed annually no later than 60 days from the beginning of a plan year (contract year, renewal year), within 30 days after termination of a prescription drug plan, or within 30 days after any change in creditable coverage status. -- This requirement does not pertain to the Medicare beneficiaries for whom entities are receiving the Retiree Drug Subsidy (RDS).
This page provides guidance documents relating to Creditable Coverage requirements for employers, union-sponsored plans, and model notice documents. For more information please click on the links on the left hand side of this page.
- Creditable Coverage Simplified Determination (PDF, 12KB) [PDF, 14KB]
- Employers/Unions & Medigap Issuers Guidance - Which Notice of Creditable Coverage to Provide? [PDF, 36KB]
- Treatment of Account-Based Health Arrangements under the Medicare Modernization Act 06/15/05 (PDF, 55KB) [PDF, 63KB]
- Overview of Creditable Coverage Issues for Plan Sponsors (PDF, 17KB) [PDF, 18KB]
- Entities Required to Provide Disclosure (PDF, 36KB) [PDF, 35KB]
- What is Creditable Coverage (PDF, 14KB) [PDF, 13KB]
- CCDb CMS Reports User Guide 5-29-12 [PDF, 99KB]
- Page last Modified: 05/09/2017 10:49 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins