Recognizing Men’s Health Month and Men’s Health Week
June is Men’s Health Month, and the week leading up to and including Father’s Day is National Men’s Health Week ( June 15 through 21). These national health observances provide an excellent opportunity for health care providers to talk with seniors and their caregivers about the important role that preventive health care can play in helping to maintain optimal health, prevent disease, and early detection.
As a provider of health care to people with Medicare, you can help your patients make the most of their benefits by talking with them about their risk factors for disease and encouraging them to take advantage of the preventive services covered by Medicare that are most appropriate for them.
Medicare-Covered Preventive Services of Particular Interest to Men
Medicare provides coverage of a wide range of preventive services, subject to certain eligibility and coverage requirements that are especially meaningful to men in helping them prevent and detect disease, including but not limited to:
- Alcohol Misuse Screening and Counseling
- Annual Wellness Visit (Providing Personalized Prevention Plan Services)
- Cancer Screenings
- Colorectal Cancer: fecal occult blood test, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, barium enema, and Cologuard™ multi-target stool DNA test (effective 10/9/14)
- Prostate Cancer: digital rectal exam and prostate specific antigen test
- Screening for Lung Cancer with Low Dose Computed Tomography (effective 2/5/15)
- Cardiovascular Disease Screening
- Diabetes Screening
- Glaucoma Screening
- Hepatitis C Screening
- HIV Screening
- Immunizations (seasonal influenza, pneumococcal, and hepatitis B)
- Initial Preventive Physical Examination (IPPE) (also commonly referred to as the “Welcome to Medicare” Preventive Visit)
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Cardiovascular Disease
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity
- Screening for Depression
- Screening for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and High-Intensity Behavioral Counseling (HIBC) to prevent STIs
- Tobacco-Use Cessation Counseling
For a complete list of preventive services covered by Medicare, refer to the resources in the “For More Information” section below.
For More Information
- Medicare Learning Network® “Preventive Services” Educational Tool – includes a list of preventive services covered by Medicare along with coverage, coding, and payment information.
- Medicare Learning Network® Publications – for a list of preventive services educational resources for health care professionals.
- Decision Memo for Screening for Colorectal Cancer - Stool DNA Testing (CAG-00440N).
- Decision Memo for Screening for Lung Cancer with Low Dose Computed Tomography (LDCT) (CAG-00439N).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Men's Health Week website.
- Men's Health Month and Men's Health Week sponsor website.