Release of Updated Principles of Documentation (POD) Guidance and CLIA POD Learning Activity (LA) Online Training Available
on the Surveyor Training Website On-Demand (24/7, 365 days/year)
• Release of Updated Principles of Documentation (POD): The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is releasing updated
POD Guidance with Appendices and CLIA POD LA Online Training Available on the Surveyor Training Website On-Demand (24/7, 365
days/year) for CLIA surveyors.
• The online POD LA-CLIA course is designed to provide an opportunity for all surveyors to apply and practice the knowledge
acquired in the CLIA Surveyor Basic Training POD course.
• All State and Regional Office (RO) CLIA surveyors will be required to complete the course. New surveyors (those with less
than two years’ experience) will be required to complete within three months of being approved to survey independently. Experienced
surveyors have up to six months from the go-live date, to complete the course.
• The new CLIA POD Learning Activity online training is now available on the Surveyor Training Website. The goal of the training
is to improve the ability of survey staff to properly apply the POD in the documentation of findings. It reviews the proper
use of grammar, punctuation, voice, and plain language consistent with the POD.
• How to Self-Enroll: Learners may self-register and self-launch the training on the Surveyor Training Website at https://surveyortraining.cms.hhs.gov.
The training is available on demand so that learners may access the training at their convenience. It is available 24 hours
a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.