Hospice Quality Reporting
About this website
This website provides information regarding the Hospice Quality Reporting Program (HQRP), mandated by the Affordable Care Act of 2010. Section 3004 of the Affordable Care Act directs the Secretary to establish quality reporting requirements for hospice programs. For the actual language in this section of the statute, please see Section 3004 Statute under Related Links below. The Hospice Quality Reporting Program includes data submitted by hospices through the Hospice Item Set (HIS) data collection tool, and an experience of care survey, the Hospice Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®).
This website is the official website for providers to receive updates and announcements related to the HQRP. Providers should bookmark this web address and visit the website on a regular basis to have the most up-to-date information related to the HQRP.
The HQRP website comprises important web subdirectory pages shown on the left-hand side of the page.
In addition to the CMS HQRP website, providers can sign up for listservs pertinent to the HQRP:
- Subscribe to the PAC QRP listserv for the latest Hospice quality reporting information including but not limited to training, stakeholder engagement opportunities, and general updates about reporting requirements, quality measures, and reporting deadlines.
- Open Door Forum (ODF) listserv: CMS regularly holds ODFs in which CMS makes announcements pertinent to various programs/care settings. ODFs are also an opportunity for live dialogue between CMS and the provider community at large. The specific ODF pertinent to the HQRP is the "Home Health, Hospice, and Durable Medical Equipment Open Door Forum". Click here to sign up for this listserv, and click on the "Home Health, Hospice & DME Open Door Forum Mailing List Sign Up" link at the bottom of the webpage, under "Related Links".
- MLN Connects: Weekly newsletter which contains CMS program and policy details, updates and announcements, press releases, upcoming educational event registration and reminders, claim, pricer, and code information and updates on new and revised MLN Publications. Subscribe to the weekly email newsletter
Penalties for Failure to Report
For fiscal year 2014, and each subsequent year, failure to submit required quality data shall result in a 2 percentage-point reduction to the market basket percentage increase for that fiscal year.
The HQRP is currently “pay-for-reporting,” meaning it is the act of submitting timely and complete data that determines compliance with HQRP requirements. Performance level is not a consideration when determining market basket updates/Annual Payment Updates (APU). Reporting compliance is determined by successfully fulfilling both the Hospice CAHPS® Survey requirements and the HIS data submission requirements.
Public Availability of Reported Data
The HQRP was established under section 1814(i)(5) of the Social Security Act. The Act also requires the Secretary to publicly report, on a CMS website, quality measures that relate to the care provided by hospice programs across the country. On August 16, 2017 CMS unveiled the Hospice Compare website to help consumers compare hospice providers’ performance and assist consumers in making decisions that are right for them.
- Page last Modified: 01/24/2018 3:38 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins