Hospital Quality Initiative
Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program
Payment adjustments under the Hospital Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program have been applied to payments for discharges occurring on or after October 1, 2012.
Under the Program, we make value-based incentive payments to acute care hospitals, based either:
- How well the hospitals perform on certain quality measures compared with other hospitals
- How much the hospitals' performance improves on certain quality measures from their performance during a baseline period.
The higher a hospital's performance compared with other hospitals or improvement from its own past performance with respect to a fiscal year, the higher the hospital's value-based incentive payment for the fiscal year would be.
As we work to implement the Program, we will add more details and pages to this site to help hospitals, patients, and other quality stakeholders navigate and take full advantage of the program's possibilities.
Additional information about the Hospital VBP policy is also included in the “Downloads” section, below.
- Important Note to Readers of the HVBP Final Rule [PDF, 49KB]
- Presentation Slides - Hospital VBP Special Open Door Forum - February 10, 2011 [PDF, 1MB]
- Agenda - Hospital VBP Special Open Door Forum - February 10, 2011 [PDF, 66KB]
- Recording & Transcript - Hospital VBP National Call - October 26, 2010 [ZIP, 11MB]
- National-level Performance Information for RHQDAPU Clinical Process Measures 2003/09 Hospital Compare Release [PDF, 99KB]
- AMI-6 Fact Sheet (12/2008) [PDF, 61KB]
- Overview Summary [PDF, 73KB]
- Medicare.gov - Opens in a new window
- CMS-3239-F: Final Rule – Hospital Inpatient Value-Based Purchasing Program (Published 5-6-11) - Opens in a new window
- CMS-3239-P: Proposed Rule - Hospital Inpatient Value-Based Purchasing Program (Published 1-13-11) - Opens in a new window
- Hospital Compare - Opens in a new window
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - Opens in a new window
- Special Open Door Forums
- Quality Initiatives - General Information
- Quality Improvement Organizations
- Page last Modified: 05/16/2019 12:42 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins