IRF Quality Reporting
IRF Quality Reporting
Section 3004(b) of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) directs the Secretary to establish quality reporting requirements for Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs). Please see below link to text of Section 3004 of the ACA.
A. IRF Quality Reporting
Section 3004 of the ACA requires the Secretary to publish, by no later than October 1, 2012, the selected quality measures that must be reported by IRFs. The ACA requires that CMS use nationally endorsed quality measures, but also allows CMS to specify measures that are not already endorsed if a feasible and practical measure in the area determined appropriate by the Secretary has not been endorsed.
B. Penalties for Failure to Report
For fiscal year 2014, and each subsequent year thereafter, failure to submit required quality data shall result in a 2 percentage point reduction to the annual increase factor for payments made for discharges occurring during that fiscal year.
C. Public Availability of Reported Data
Section 3004 of the ACA requires the Secretary to establish procedures for making the data received as a result of the IRF Quality Reporting Program available to the public and requires the Secretary to establish procedures to ensure that IRFs have the opportunity to review that data prior to public reporting. No date has been specified to begin public reporting of quality data.
To read more about Section 3004 of the ACA (Quality Reporting for Long-Term Care Hospitals, Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities, and IRF Programs) please use the link below for P.L. Public Law No: 111-148, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
To get help with questions related to the IRF Quality Reporting Program Questions, you may use the contact information listed below:
For questions about IRF-PAI data coding or IRF-PAI data submission:
Phone: 1-800-339-9313 or e-mail: email@example.com
For questions about CAUTI data or submission, NHSN Registration:
For questions about Quality measure calculation, data submission deadlines, the new pressure ulcer items:
- IRF Quality Reporting Program Help Desk - Opens in a new window
- Questions or General Comments Related to ACA 3004 Quality Reporting Program - Opens in a new window
- Special Open Door Forums
- Open Door Forums
- IRF PPS Final Rule Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System for Federal Fiscal Year 2012 (Published August 5, 2011) - Opens in a new window
- Join NHSN - Opens in a new window
- NHSN Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities - Opens in a new window
- CDC's NHSN Training webpage - Opens in a new window
- CDC's NHSN Enrollment Information webpage - Opens in a new window
- CDC'S NHSN CAUTI Reporting forms - Opens in a new window
- CDC'S NHSN CAUTI Reporting instructions - Opens in a new window
- NHSN Help Desk - Opens in a new window
- QIES Technical Assistance - Opens in a new window
- H.R.3590 Health Care Law - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 05/31/2013 2:36 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins