As the largest payer of healthcare services in the United States, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) continuously seeks ways to improve healthcare quality. The CMS quality programs address care provided across the care continuum and encourage improvement of quality through use of payment incentives, payment reductions, and quality improvement activities while also increasing transparency through expanded public reporting of performance results.
Five statements define CMS’ strategic vision for the future of its quality reporting programs:
- CMS quality reporting programs are guided by input from patients, caregivers, and healthcare professionals.
- Feedback and data drives rapid cycle quality improvement.
- Public reporting provides meaningful, transparent, and actionable information.
- Quality reporting programs rely on an aligned measure portfolio.
- Quality reporting and value-based purchasing program policies are aligned.
CMS Quality Reporting Programs and Quality Initiatives
The following sites and web pages contain information about various incentive and quality programs and initiatives being run by CMS and other HHS organizations.
- Appropriate Use Criteria Program
- Bundled Payments for Care Improvement (BPCI) Advanced
- Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services (Medicaid EHR Incentive)
- Comprehensive Primary Care
- Dual Eligible Beneficiaries Program (PDF)
- Electronic Prescribing Incentive Programs
- HEDIS Quality Measure Rating System
- Home Health Quality Reporting
- Home Health Value Based Purchasing
- Hospital Acquired Condition Reduction Program (HACRP)
- Hospital Compare
- Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting
- Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting
- Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRR)
- Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Quality Reporting (IPFQR)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) Quality Reporting
- Medicare Advantage Quality Improvement Program
- Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program for Eligible Hospitals or Critical Access Hospitals
- Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals
- Medicare Part C Star Rating (PDF)
- Medicare Part D Star Rating (PDF)
- Medicare Shared Savings
- Merit-based Incentive Payment System
- Nursing Home Compare
- Nursing Home Quality Initiative
- Payment System-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting
- Physician Compare Initiative
- Physician Feedback/Quality Resource Use Report (PDF)
- Post-Acute Care Quality Initiatives
- Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)
- Prospective Payment System-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting
- Qualified Health Plan (QHP) Quality Rating System (QRS)
- Quality Improvement Organizations
- Quality Payment Program
- Value-Based Modifier (VM) Program
- Value Based Programs