IMPACT Act Standardized Assessment National Testing
The Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act of 2014 (IMPACT Act) requires that patient assessment data elements collected across post-acute care (PAC) settings be standardized. Standardized data will enable cross-setting data collection, outcome comparison, exchangeability of data, and comparison of quality within and across PAC settings. In addition, standardized data has the potential to improve patient outcomes by improving coordination of care and discharge planning.
CMS has contracted with the RAND Corporation to develop and implement standardized patient assessment data elements mandated by the IMPACT Act. This effort is taking place over a three-year period from October 2015 through September 2018. The national beta test to evaluate candidate standardized patient assessment data elements will begin in Fall 2017.
For the national test, PAC providers will support the efforts to test the implementation of standardized data elements for reliability, validity and ease of use in PAC settings. The RAND team is currently recruiting PAC providers from Home Health Agencies (HHAs), Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs), Long-term Care Hospitals (LTCHs), and Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) to participate in national beta testing. The national beta test will be conducted in the following locations:
- Boston, MA
- Harrisburg, PA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Durham, NC
- Chicago, IL
- Nashville, TN
- Kansas City, MO
- St. Louis, MO
- Dallas, TX
- Houston, TX
- Phoenix, AZ
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Diego, CA
Complete the interest form to find out if your organization is eligible to participate in the national beta test.
To learn more about the national test and your facility’s eligibility to participate, please attend one of the upcoming informational webinars.
The call-in information is 1-415-655-0002.
- Monday, December 4th at 11 am ET, Access code: 315 266 440, Click here to register for this webinar
- Tuesday, December 5th at 10 am ET, Access code: 317 201 474, Click here to register for this webinar
- Thursday, December 7th at 1 pm ET, Access code: 319 315 887, Click here to register for this webinar
- Tuesday, December 12th at 1 pm ET, Access code: 317 896 544, Click here to register for this webinar
- Thursday, December 14th at 11 am ET, Access code: 319 292 337,Click here to register for this webinar
- View the FAQs in the download section below
- Call 1-855-233-5690
- Email at IMPACTbetafirstname.lastname@example.org
- View the recruitment video: https://youtu.be/4wyqS2mTRPE
November 28, 2017
CMS has contracted with the RAND Corporation to develop standardized assessment-based data elements to meet the requirements as set forth under the IMPACT Act, Section 2(a). As part of its data element development process, RAND is conducting a national test of the data elements that are currently being considered for standardization. These data elements may be used to inform a number of important things, including case-mix adjustment, medical complexity, interoperable exchange, clinical decision support, and measure development. The protocols for this national field test are now posted in the Downloads section below. CMS is posting the national field test protocols to delineate the items being assessed in the National Beta test, to increase transparency, and to allow researchers, providers, and consumers more information on the testing protocol.
- National Field Test Assessment Protocol_Non-Communicative.pdf [PDF, 216KB]
- National Field Test Assessment Protocol_Admission.pdf [PDF, 445KB]
- National Field Test Assessment Protocol_Discharge.pdf [PDF, 466KB]
- IMPACT Act Standardized Assessment National Testing Fact Sheet - May 2017.pdf [PDF, 352KB]
- IMPACT Act National Testing FAQs- May 2017.pdf [PDF, 92KB]
- Page last Modified: 12/11/2017 10:04 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins