Thursday, August 25, 2016
- ICD-10: Updated Questions and Answers
- IMPACT Act Standardized Assessment Data: Comments due September 12
- SNF Quality Reporting Program Webcast — September 14
- National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care and QAPI Call — September 15
- Comparative Billing Report on PAP/RAD and Accessories — September 21
- Next Generation Accountable Care Organization – Implementation MLN Matters® Article — New
- Medicare and Medicaid Basics Booklet — New
- PQRS Call: Audio Recording and Transcript — New
- Global Surgery Information Session: Audio Recording and Transcript — New
Updates to the clarifying Questions and Answers (PDF) related to the July 6, 2015, CMS/AMA joint announcement and guidance regarding ICD-10 flexibilities are available. See the ICD-10 website for more resources, including Contacts for Medicare and Medicaid Questions (PDF).
Public comments can now be submitted until September 12 on standardized assessment-based data items developed under the Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act of 2014 (IMPACT Act) to meet the domains of: cognitive function and mental status; special services, treatments, and interventions; medical conditions and co-morbidities; and impairments. CMS seeks comments on:
- Potential for improving quality
- Utility for describing case mix
- Feasibility for use in post-acute care settings
Visit the Public Comment webpage for more information.
Improper Billing continues to be a leading cause of Medicare noncompliance for providers. The CMS Provider Minute: Lumbar Spinal Infusion video includes pointers to help you submit proper documentation for this procedure. Learn about:
- The four elements needed in the medical record
- How to obtain an attestation for an illegible signature
This video is part of a series to help providers of all types improve in areas identified with a high degree of noncompliance.
Wednesday, September 14 from 1:30 to 3 pm ET
To register or for more information, visit MLN Connects® Event Registration. Space may be limited, register early.
Learn about the reporting requirements for the new Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Quality Reporting Program (QRP), effective October 1, 2016. The Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act of 2014 (IMPACT Act) established the SNF QRP and requires the submission of standardized data. A question and answer session will follow the presentation.
- Overview of the IMPACT Act and the SNF QRP
- Resources for providers
- Three Quality Measures (QMs) finalized for SNF QRP in FY 16 SNF Prospective Payment System (PPS) Final Rule
- Four QMs Finalized in FY 17 SNF PPS Final Rule
- Data collection timeframe and data submission deadline for the FY 18 payment determination
- Consequences of not meeting the data submission deadline
- Reconsideration and exception and extension procedures
Target Audience: SNF providers.
Thursday, September 15 from 1:30 to 3 pm ET
To register or for more information, visit MLN Connects Event Registration. Space may be limited, register early.
This call focuses on effective care transitions between long-term and acute care settings, highlighting transitions that involve residents with dementia. This is critical for residents with dementia, as care transitions can cause heightened anxiety and aggression. Communication should be optimized, as care transitions are high-risk periods for nursing home residents. Additionally, CMS experts share updates on the progress of the National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care in Nursing Homes and Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI). A question and answer session will follow the presentations.
- Dr. Kevin Biese, University of North Carolina (UNC), Department of Emergency Medicine
- Tammie Stanton, UNC Health Care System
- Kathryn Weigel, Rex Rehabilitation & Nursing Care Center of Apex
- Scott Bartlett, Pikes Peak Area Council of Governments – Area Agency on Aging
- Michele Laughman and Debbie Lyons, CMS
Target Audience: Consumer and advocacy groups, nursing home providers, surveyor community, prescribers, professional associations, and other interested stakeholders.
Wednesday, September 21 from 3 to 4:30 pm ET
Join CMS for an informative discussion of the comparative billing report on Positive Airway Pressure (PAP) Devices and Respiratory Assist Devices (RAD) and Accessories (CBR201612), an educational tool for suppliers that provide PAP/RAD and accessories to Medicare beneficiaries. During the webinar, suppliers will interact directly with content specialists and submit questions about the report. See the announcement for more information and find out how to participate.
An MLN Matters Special Edition Article on Next Generation Accountable Care Organization - Implementation (PDF) is available. Learn about the benefit enhancement waiver initiatives and supplemental claims processing direction.
A new Medicare and Medicaid Basics Booklet is available. Learn about:
- Dual eligible beneficiaries
- Covered services
- Other common types of coverage
An audio recording (ZIP) and transcript (PDF) are available for the August 10 call on PQRS Feedback Reports and Informal Review Process for Program Year 2015 Results. Learn about Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) negative payment adjustments, feedback reports, and informal review process for program year 2015 results and 2017 payment adjustment determination.
An audio recording (ZIP) and transcript (PDF) are available for the August 11 information session on Data Collection on Resources Used in Furnishing Global Services. Learn about the proposed data collection activities on resources used in furnishing global services outlined in the CY 2017 Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule.
This newsletter is current as of the issue date. View the complete disclaimer (PDF).
The Medicare Learning Network®, MLN Connects®, and MLN Matters® are registered trademarks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).