- MLN Connects for March 2, 2017
Thursday, March 2, 2017
- IRF and LTCH QRP Preview Reports Available: Review by March 30
- March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
- SNF VBP: Understanding Your Facility’s Confidential Feedback Report Call — March 15
- National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care and QAPI Call — March 21
- Home Health Quality Reporting Program Provider Training — May 3 and 4
- Critical Access Hospital Booklet — Revised
- Transitional Care Management Services Fact Sheet — Revised
- MREP Software Fact Sheet — Reminder
- HIPAA Basics for Providers: Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Rules Fact Sheet — Reminder
- PECOS Technical Assistance Contact Information Fact Sheet — Reminder
Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) and Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) Quality Reporting Program (QRP) Provider Preview Reports are now available. Review your Quarter 2 - 2015 to Quarter 1 – 2016 performance data on each quality measure prior to public display on the IRF Compare and LTCH Compare websites in June 2017. If you believe your data is inaccurate, you can request a CMS review by March 30. Corrections to the underlying data will not be permitted during this time.
During this review period, providers are unable to use the National Healthcare Safety Network to verify the accuracy of healthcare-associated infection standardized infection ratios. See guidance for IRFs and LTCHs.
For More Information:
- IRF Quality Public Reporting webpage and Preview Report Access Instructions
- LTCH Quality Public Reporting webpage and Preview Report Access Instructions
Of cancers that affect both men and women, colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. Screening can help find this cancer at an early stage, when treatment often leads to a cure. Help protect your Medicare patients by recommending screening if appropriate.
For More Information:
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Medicare Preventive Services Educational Tool
- Screen for Life: National Colorectal Cancer Action Campaign - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Visit the Preventive Services website to learn more about Medicare-covered services.
Physicians or non-physician practitioners are required to have face-to-face encounters with beneficiaries before they certify eligibility for the home health benefit. One aspect of the certification is for the certifying physician to certify (attest) that the face-to-face encounter occurred and document the date of the encounter. For medical review purposes, Medicare requires documentation in the certifying physician’s medical records and/or the acute/post-acute care facility’s medical records to be used as the basis for certification of patient eligibility. This documentation must include the clinical note or discharge summary for the face-to-face encounter. Avoid home health claims payment denials or improper payment recoveries by understanding Medicare's requirements.
- CY 2015 Home Health Prospective Payment System Final Rule
- Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 7, Section 30.5.1
- National Provider Call: Certifying Patients for the Medicare Home Health Benefit
MLN Matters® Articles:
- Certifying Patients for the Medicare Home Health Benefit
- Manual Updates to Clarify Requirements for Physician Certification and Recertification of Patient Eligibility for Home Health Services
Wednesday, March 15 from 1:30 to 3 pm ET
To register or for more information, visit MLN Connects® Event Registration.
During this call, CMS experts present on the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program, including confidential quarterly feedback reports and implementation guidance. Gain an understanding of the significance of readmissions and how SNF risk-standardized readmission rates are computed. Learn how to navigate through the Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (QIES) and the Certification and Survey Provider Enhanced Reporting (CASPER) application systems to report SNF quality performance. A question and answer session follows the presentation.
The SNF VBP Program will begin in FY 2019.
Target Audience: SNFs, administrators, clinicians, and other stakeholders.
Tuesday, March 21 from 1:30 to 3 pm
To register or for more information, visit MLN Connects Event Registration.
During this call, learn about the Creating a Culture of Person-Directed Dementia Care project grant award. The Lake Superior Quality Innovation Network will share information about the new QAPI Written Plan How-To Guide that can assist long-term care providers with performance improvement efforts. Additionally, CMS experts share updates on the progress of the National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care in Nursing Homes and Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI). A question and answer session follows the presentation.
- Kathy Hagen, The Eden Alternative
- Kristi Wergin, Lake Superior Quality Innovation Network
- Michele Laughman and Debbie Lyons, CMS
Target Audience: Consumer and advocacy groups, nursing home providers, surveyor community, prescribers, professional associations, and other interested stakeholders.
Wednesday, May 3 and Thursday, May 4
CMS is hosting a 2-day, in person training event on the Home Health (HH) Quality Reporting Program in Baltimore, MD. Visit the HH Quality Reporting Training webpage for more information and to register.
A revised Critical Access Hospital Booklet is available. Learn about:
- Critical Access Hospital designation
- Payments, including hospital inpatient admission certification requirements
- Grants to states under the Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Program
A revised Transitional Care Management Services Fact Sheet is available. Learn about:
- Health care professionals furnishing these services and supervision
- Services settings, components, and billing
- Frequently asked questions on billing
The MREP Software Fact Sheet is available. Learn about:
- Medicare Remit Easy Print (MREP) basic software
- Benefits of using the electronic remittance advice information
- Minimum system requirements
The HIPAA Basics for Providers: Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Rules Fact Sheet is available. Learn about:
- Who must comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) rules
- Covered entities
The PECOS Technical Assistance Contact Information Fact Sheet is available. Learn about:
- Common problems and who to contact
- Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS) resources
This newsletter is current as of the issue date. View the complete disclaimer.
The Medicare Learning Network®, MLN Connects®, and MLN Matters® are registered trademarks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).