- MLN Connects for November 30, 2017
Thursday, November 30, 2017
- QRDA III Implementation Guide for CY 2018 Performance Period
- DMEPOS: Traveling Beneficiary Clarification
- Hospice Compare Search Function
- World AIDS Day is December 1
- Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program Model Expansion Call — December 5
- Interdisciplinary Care Teams for Older Adults Webinar — December 7
- National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care and QAPI Call — December 14
- Quality Payment Program 2017: MIPS ACI Performance Category Web-Based Training Course — New
- SNF Value-Based Purchasing Program Call: Audio Recording and Transcript — New
- Hurricane Harvey and Medicare Disaster Related Texas Claims MLN Matters Article — Updated
- Tropical Storm Harvey and Medicare Disaster Related Louisiana Claims MLN Matters Article — Updated
- SBIRT Services Booklet — Reminder
CMS published the 2018 Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA) Category III Implementation Guide for Eligible Professionals (EPs) and eligible clinicians with Schematrons and Sample Files for the following CMS Programs:
- Quality Payment Program: Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Advanced Alternative Payment Models
- Comprehensive Primary Care Plus
- Medicaid Electronic Health Record Incentive Program for EPs
About the Implementation Guide:
- No changes to the QRDA templates from the 2017 Implementation Guide
- Includes updated electronic clinical quality measure specifications universally unique identifier list
- Includes updates to the MIPS advancing care information measures and improvement activities
- For information on changes from previous versions, visit the “Change Log” section
For More Information:
- eCQI Resource Center webpage: Current and past Implementation Guides, Schematrons, and Sample Files
- ONC QRDA JIRA Issue Tracker: For questions about Implementation Guides or Schematrons
- Quality Payment Program website: For questions about the Quality Payment Program or contact the Service Center at 866-288-8292 (TTY 877-715-6222) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Help your patients make informed choices on how they obtain Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS). Updated Medicare Learning Network publications now address situations when beneficiaries travel and who currently rent competitively bid DMEPOS or oxygen and oxygen equipment from a grandfathered supplier:
- Traveling Beneficiary Fact Sheet
- Grandfathering Requirements for Non-Contract Suppliers Fact Sheet
The Hospice Compare website location search may return incorrect results; the list of agencies provided may not serve the zip code, city, or state entered. A message at the top of the website recommends that consumers call hospices to confirm their service areas. CMS is working to improve the search functionality and will update the website as soon as possible. Visit the Hospice Quality Public Reporting webpage for updates.
World AIDS Day raises awareness of the global impact of HIV and AIDS. People aged 50 and older have many of the same HIV risk factors as younger people but may be less aware of their risk. Use this opportunity to talk to your patients about the importance of HIV prevention and recommend screening if appropriate.
For More Information:
- Preventive Services Educational Tool
- HIV/AIDS website, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World AIDS Day webpage, CDC
Visit the Preventive Services website to learn more about Medicare-covered services.
In a February 2016 report, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) determined that Medicare paid for many stem cell transplants incorrectly. The main finding was that providers billed these procedures as inpatient when they should have been submitted as outpatient services. Use the following resources to bill correctly and avoid overpayment recoveries:
- OIG Report Medicare did not Pay Selected Inpatient Claims for Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant Procedures in Accordance with Medicare Requirements
- CMS Transmittal 1805
- MLN Matters® Article
Tuesday, December 5 from 1:30 to 3 pm ET
Register for Medicare Learning Network events.
The CY 2018 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule final rule includes the expansion of the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program (MDPP) Model starting in 2018. During this call, CMS experts provide a high-level overview of the finalized policies. A question and answer session follows the presentation.
The MDPP expanded model is a structured intervention with the goal of preventing progression to type 2 diabetes in individuals with an indication of pre-diabetes. Participants should review the final rule prior to the call.
Target Audience: Current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recognized Diabetes Prevention Program organizations; organizations interested in becoming MDPP suppliers, including existing Medicare providers/suppliers, community organizations, non-for-profits; associations, and advocacy groups focused on seniors or diabetes; and other interested stakeholders, including health plans, primary care/internal medicine specialties.
Thursday, December 7 from 12 to 1:30 pm ET
Register for this webinar.
Part of the Geriatric Competent Care series, this webinar discusses the key members within the Interdisciplinary Care Team (ICT) and identify common challenges and best practices for ICTs working with older adults. Visit the December 7 webpage for more information. Continuing Medical Education (CME) and Continuing Education (CE) credits may be available.
Thursday, December 14 from 1:30 to 3 pm ET
Register for Medicare Learning Network events.
During this call, learn how to work with physicians to ensure compliance with the new psychotropic medication prescribing requirements for long-term care facilities. Also, find out how nursing homes are putting the new Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (QAPI) requirements into practice. Additionally, CMS experts share updates on the progress of the National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care in Nursing Homes and QAPI. A question and answer session follows the presentations.
- Dr. Arif Nazir, Signature Healthcare
- Deb Fournier, Maine Veterans' Homes
- Sarah Schumann, Brookside Inn (Colorado)
- Michele Laughman and Debbie Lyons, CMS
Target Audience: Consumer and advocacy groups; nursing home providers; surveyor community; prescribers; professional associations; and other interested stakeholders.
With Continuing Education Credit
A new Quality Payment Program 2017: Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Advancing Care Information (ACI) Performance Category Web-Based Training course is available through the Learning Management System. Learn about:
- Base, performance, and bonus score reporting requirements
- Two measure sets available for the 2017 transition year that vary depending on the edition of Certified Electronic Health Record Technology
- Scoring and reweighting methodology
An audio recording and transcript are available for the November 16 call on the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Value-Based Purchasing Program FY 2018 Final Rule. Learn how the program will affect your payments beginning October 1, 2018, and how CMS will translate performance scores into value-based incentive payments.
The MLN Matters Special Edition Article on Hurricane Harvey and Medicare Disaster Related Texas Claims has been updated. This article was revised to advise providers that the public health emergency declaration and Section 1135 waiver authority expired on November 22, 2017. All other information remains the same.
The MLN Matters Special Edition Article on Tropical Storm Harvey and Medicare Disaster Related Louisiana Claims has been updated. This article was revised to advise providers that the public health emergency declaration and Section 1135 waiver authority expired on November 24, 2017. All other information remains the same.
The Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Services Booklet is available. Learn about:
- SBIRT under Medicare and Medicaid
- How to bill for dual eligibles
This newsletter is current as of the issue date. View the complete disclaimer.
The Medicare Learning Network®, MLN Connects®, and MLN Matters® are registered trademarks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).