- New Medicare Card Mailing Update – Wave 6 Begins, Wave 4 Ends
Monday, September 17, 2018
New Medicare Card Mailing Update – Wave 6 Begins, Wave 4 Ends
CMS started mailing new Medicare cards to people with Medicare who live in Wave 6 states: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
We finished mailing cards to people with Medicare who live in Waves 1, 2, 3, and now Wave 4 states and territories. If your Medicare patients say they did not get a card, ask them to:
- Sign into MyMedicare.gov to see if we mailed their card. If so, they can print an official card. They must create an account if they do not already have one.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). There might be something that needs to be corrected, such as updating their mailing address.
To ensure your Medicare patients continue to get care, you can use either the former Social Security number-based Health Insurance Claim Number or the new alpha-numeric Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) for all Medicare transactions through December 31, 2019.
Check this website as the mailings progress. Continue to direct your Medicare patients to Medicare.gov/NewCard for information about the mailings and to sign up to get email about the status of card mailings in their state.
We are committed to mailing new cards to all people with Medicare by April 2019.
Information on the transition to the new MBI:
- New MBI Get It, Use It MLN Matters® Article
- Transition to New Medicare Numbers and Cards Fact Sheet
- New Medicare Card information website
This newsletter is current as of the issue date. View the complete disclaimer.
The Medicare Learning Network®, MLN Connects®, and MLN Matters® are registered trademarks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).