- Open Payments (the Sunshine Act): Registration, Review, and Dispute
- National Physician Payment Transparency Program (Open Payments)
As a physician or teaching hospital, are you aware of Open Payments (the Sunshine Act)? Now that you have completed Phase 1 of registration in the CMS Enterprise Portal, are you ready for Phase 2? Do you know that Phase 2 allows you to register in the Open Payments system, and then review and (if needed) dispute any of the data reported about you by the industry prior to public posting of the data?
During this defined period of time in Phase 2, physicians and teaching hospitals can voluntarily register with CMS to review information about payments or other transfers of value given to them by industry prior to public posting of the data. Physicians and teaching hospitals that choose to participate will initially need to register in the CMS Enterprise Portal (Phase 1 registration) in order to register in the Open Payments system to access and review the information submitted about them by industry and potentially dispute information with industry that they believe to be inaccurate or incomplete.
During this MLN Connects™ National Provider Call, CMS experts give a brief introductory presentation about Open Payments and provide a step-by-step review of the registration and review and dispute process. This overview will be followed by answers to questions submitted prior to the call and an opportunity for participants to interact with our subject matter experts during a live question and answer session.
When: Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Time: 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern Time
- Physicians *
- Teaching Hospitals
- Professional Organizations
- Physician Staff
- Other Interested Parties
* For the purposes of Open Payments, a “physician” is any of the following types of professionals that are legally authorized to practice, regardless of whether they are Medicare, Medicaid, or Children's health Insurance Program (CHIP) providers:
- Doctors of Medicine or Osteopathy practicing medicine or surgery
- Doctors of Dental Medicine or Dental Surgery practicing dentistry
- Doctors of Podiatric Medicine
- Doctors of Optometry
Note: Medical residents are excluded from the definition of physicians for the purpose of this program. More information is available on the Open Payments website.
- Brief Open Payments overview
- Recap registration process in the CMS Enterprise Portal
- Provide step-by-step instructions on how to:
- Register in the Open Payments system; and
- Review and dispute
- Answers to submitted questions
- Live Q&A session
Slide Presentation [PDF, 1MB]
To register for an MLN Connects National Provider Call, please visit the CMS MLN Connects Upcoming Calls registration website.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions page.
- If you need additional assistance with registration, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To request TTY services, please email email@example.com no later than 3 business days before the event.
For More Information:
For more information, please visit the Open Payments website