Eligible Hospital Information
Beginning in 2019, all eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals, dual-eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) are required to use 2015 edition certified electronic health record technology (CEHRT) to meet the requirements of the Promoting Interoperability Program. Note that the requirements for eligible hospitals, dual-eligible hospitals, and CAHs that submit an attestation to CMS under the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program were updated in the 2019 IPPS final rule.
In 2019, all Medicaid eligible hospitals and EPs must adhere to the requirements of their state’s Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Program and attest directly to their state. Visit the 2019 Promoting Interoperability Medicaid page for more information.
CMS is continuing efforts to reduce burden by easing reporting requirements and streamlining data submission methods for eligible hospitals and CAHs attesting to CMS for the Promoting Interoperability Programs
For the EHR reporting period in 2019:
- Medicare eligible hospitals and CAHs will use the QualityNet system to submit meaningful use attestations.
- The Registration and Attestation System will continue to be available for Medicaid-only eligible hospitals and CAHs. These hospitals should contact their state Medicaid agencies for specific information on how to attest.
- Dual-eligible hospitals and CAHs attesting to CMS for both the Medicare and Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Programs will register and attest in the QualityNet system.
- Dual-eligible hospitals and CAHs new to the Promoting Interoperability Programs must register in the Registration and Attestation system and register in QualityNet.
For information on QualityNet account registration, please review the QualityNet User Guide. The User Guide includes step-by-step instructions for creating an account on QualityNet.
Medicare Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
The following hospitals are eligible to participate in the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program:
- Subsection (d) hospitals in the 50 states, DC, and Puerto Rico that are paid under the Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS)
- Medicare Advantage (MA-Affiliated) Hospitals
Medicaid Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
The following hospitals are eligible to participate in the Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Program:
- Acute care hospitals (including CAHs and cancer hospitals) with at least a 10 percent Medicaid patient volume
- Children's hospitals (no Medicaid patient volume requirements)
Dual Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
Dual-eligible hospitals and CAHs are eligible for an incentive payment under Medicare and/or subject to the Medicare downward payment adjustment, and are also eligible to earn a Medicaid incentive payment.
Beginning with the EHR reporting period in 2019, dual-eligible hospitals and CAHs that successfully attest to CMS may earn a Medicare incentive payment and/or avoid a Medicare payment adjustment, and satisfy the Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Program requirements.
CMS is currently in the process of updating the registration and attestation user guides for the 2020 program year. These official guides will provide easy instructions for using CMS’ systems, helpful tips and screenshots to walk you through the process, and important information that you will need in order to successfully register and attest. Please check back soon.
- Page last Modified: 04/02/2019 12:21 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins