Eligible Hospital Information
New Participation Requirements Beginning in 2015
In meeting the EHR Incentive Programs’ requirements for 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) and Stage 3, eligible hospital participants will focus on advanced use of certified EHR technology to support health information exchange and interoperability, advanced quality measurement, and maximizing clinical effectiveness and efficiencies.
Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) Incentive Payments
Many eligible hospitals and CAHs are able to receive incentive payments from both the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. Medicare incentive payments for eligible hospitals continue through 2016, and Medicaid payments continue through 2021.
- Meaningful Use for Hospitals
All providers are required to attest to a single set of objectives and measures beginning in 2015.
- For all eligible hospitals and CAHs, there are 9 objectives.
- Beginning on a voluntary basis in 2017 and required beginning in 2018, all providers will attest to Stage 3 objectives and measures. More information about reporting in 2017 and beyond will be available in 2016.
- Eligible hospitals and CAHs must report to 16 clinical quality measures (CQMs) across 3 domains. Visit the eCQM Library and 2015 Reporting Options pages for more information.
You can view or download a complete set of meaningful use specification sheets that outline the requirements for eligible hospitals and CAHs here.
Eligible Hospitals and CAHs Reporting Periods
- In 2015 only, eligible hospitals and CAHs may select an EHR reporting period any continuous 90-day period from October 1, 2014 to December 31, 2015.
- Starting in 2016, the EHR reporting period for eligible hospitals and CAHs will begin and end based on the calendar year.
Medicare Eligible Hospitals
The following hospitals are eligible to participate in the Medicare EHR Incentive Programs:
- "Subsection (d) hospitals" in the 50 states or DC that are paid under the Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS)
- Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs)
- Medicare Advantage (MA-Affiliated) Hospitals
Eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) can qualify for incentive payments under the Medicare EHR Incentive Program if they successfully demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology through 2016. Eligible hospitals and CAHs that do not successfully demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology are subject to Medicare payment adjustments beginning in 2015.
Medicaid Eligible Hospitals
The following hospitals are eligible to participate in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs:
- Acute care hospitals (including CAHs and cancer hospitals) with at least 10% Medicaid patient volume
- Children's hospitals (no Medicaid patient volume requirements)
Under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, eligible hospitals can qualify for incentive payments if they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology during the first participation year or successfully demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology in subsequent participation years. Medicaid hospitals that qualify for EHR incentive payments receive incentive payments through 2021. There are no payment adjustments under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
To learn more about meaningful use and why it’s important, visit our EHR Incentive Programs Basics page. For information on requirements for previous years of the EHR Incentive Programs, visit the Requirements for Previous Years page.
- Page last Modified: 01/12/2016 12:09 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins