October 11, 2017
The CMS Technical Reference Architecture (TRA) provides the authoritative technical architecture approach and technical reference standards of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Compliance with the TRA helps ensure that CMS information technology (IT) systems and infrastructure will support secure and high-quality delivery of healthcare services to beneficiaries, providers, and business partners.
The CMS TRA spans five volumes: Volume I – Foundation, Volume II – Network Services, Volume III – Infrastructure Services, Volume IV – Development and Application Services, and Volume V – Data Management. The chapters in each volume provide engineering detail that adheres to the approved CMS architecture and other CMS standards.
This 2017 Release 1 (2017R1) includes the following major changes:
- The Transport Band is no longer considered a TRA band and all references to it were removed.
- The Administration Band is subsumed by the Security and Management bands and all references to it were removed.
- The Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) chapter was removed.
- A new chapter in Volume II covers enterprise-level security monitoring and the CMS Cybersecurity Integration Center (CCIC) integration requirements.
- The Wide Area Network (WAN) Services chapter in Volume II was completely rewritten.
The Change Log in Volume I – Foundation describes additional technically significant changes throughout this release. There were no significant changes in Volume V.
The CMS TRA applies to all CMS Processing Environments. New TRA releases, such as this 2017 Release 1, apply immediately on publication for new systems. For existing systems, compliance is required within twenty-four (24) months of publication. Any deviations from the CMS TRA must be requested and approved. The BR-F-1 and BR-F-2 business rules in Volume I provide additional details on compliance.
For questions or comments that are specific to CMS’s technical reference standards, please contact the CMS Technical Review Board.
The CMS TRA is located on the CMS internal portal. If you require these documents but do not have access to the portal, please contact your Government Task Lead (GTL) or send an email to the CMS IT Policy Officer and provide ALL of the following information in your request:
- Your name
- Company name
- Phone number
- Project name
- Name of the CMS Government Task Lead (GTL). Please be sure to copy your GTL/COR on the request.
If any of the requested information is not provided, your request will be denied.
- Page last Modified: 11/14/2017 10:11 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins