Data Architecture and Engineering is an ongoing operation supporting successful Information Technology (IT) project implementation for the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). DAES is a function under the CMS Enterprise Architecture (EA) Program.
Primary areas of responsibility include maintaining data description guidelines, providing data architecture advising and engineering consultations for IT project teams.
Data Architecture & Engineering Services (DAES)
The following services are provided in support of the agency's data management and data utilization objective:
Data Architecture Advising - Provides assistance in identifying and understanding CMS data resources, and advisement in data architecture technology application. Example artifacts and activities include:
- Logical data model reviews advising on data description and design practices
- Data architecture diagrams depicting technical solutions, data relationships and movement
- Data architecture consults advising on use of architecture patterns (flow, storage, query, API, etc.) and data management technologies
Data Design & Engineering - Provides data description and modeling assistance and data solution engineering collaboration. Example artifacts and activities include:
- Solution engagements with IT project teams to demonstrate new data management methods and technologies
- Project-level data and information models
- CMS enterprise data description products (e.g.; CMS Data Taxonomy, Enterprise Logical Data Model, Standard Terms List)
- Data description guidelines (naming, definition, modeling)
To request services, please complete the service request form available under Downloads. Questions or requests for DAES services should be submitted to: CMSDataadmin@cms.hhs.gov.