Technical Assistance to States for separate Children’s Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP) Data
Task IX of the Medicaid Analytic eXtract Production, Enhancement, and Data Quality (MAX-PDQ) contract was designed to promote the complete reporting of separate CHIP (S-CHIP) eligibility and claims data into the Medicaid Statistical Information System (MSIS) by providing technical assistance (TA) to state Medicaid and S-CHIP agencies. This site will provide access to reports and other published products designed in conjunction with the TA to assist states. The reports and products will focus on:
- Identifying what specific S-CHIP data to report in MSIS and the framework for doing so,
- Circulating best practices for how these data can be identified, linked, and merged with regular Medicaid—and, in some cases, Medicaid expansion CHIP (M-CHIP)—data already submitted via MSIS, and
- Promoting the availability of the data and describing their potential uses for states and researchers.
Reports and Issue Briefs
- “CHIP Data in the Medicaid Statistical Information System (MSIS): Availability and Uses.” This issue brief discusses the increasing availability of Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) data in the Medicaid Statistical Information System (MSIS) and potential uses for the data. These uses include monitoring program performance, evaluating policy options, and helping to implement provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). It is available through the links in the “Downloads” section.
- “Best Practices for Linking Medicaid and Separate CHIP Eligibility Records.” This issue brief provides guidance to states that have distinct eligibility determination systems for Medicaid and separate CHIP on how to link enrollment records across systems and report a unique, permanent identifier to MSIS. It is available through the links in the “Downloads” section.
- “Reporting Person-Level Separate CHIP Data to MSIS: A Guide for States, Programmer's Supplement.” This report is a programmer’s guide that provides detailed technical guidance regarding how to map separate CHIP enrollment and claims data from source systems into the MSIS format. We anticipate that states will find it helpful as they prepare to report Children’s Health Insurance Program data to CMS. It is available through the links in the “Downloads” section below.