Provider of Services Current Files
The POS file contains data on characteristics of hospitals and other types of healthcare facilities, including the name and address of the facility and the type of Medicare services the facility provides, among other information. The data are collected through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Regional Offices. The file contains an individual record for each Medicare-approved provider and is updated quarterly. The data is an invaluable resource to a variety of stakeholders, including researchers and application developers.
This file has previously only been available to the public for a fee. Now, the Provider of Services (POS) files are being made available as free downloads. The most current four quarters will be posted to this website and the December quarter for each previous year will be available on the left margin.
Data Format: Download files offered in both TXT flat files and csv self-extracting ZIP files. There is one file for the first 18 facility types, labeled “OTHER”, and one file for the CLIA laboratories, labeled “CLIA”.
ALERT: Two data issues in the CLIA POS file have been resolved as of the 2nd Quarter 2016 file. The data issues occurred in CLIA POS files starting with the 2nd Quarter 2011 file through 1st quarter 2016. For more informaiton please see: CLIA data file issue alert.
FILE SIZE NOTE: File size is approximately 15MB – 36 MB and may be too large to open on a desktop. Compatible Software Programs: Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL/DB2/Oracle, SAS or other statistical software. (Note: Microsoft Excel or TextPad cannot be used to analyze the POS file)
SOURCE OF DATA NOTE: Please be aware that as part of the process to convert from the Online Survey Certification & Reporting System (OSCAR) to the Quality Improvement Evaluation System (QIES), the OSCAR Standard and User Defined reports along with the extract functionality are now available in QIES. The second quarter 2011 POS files and all POS files in the future are extracted from QIES. Therefore, the file names and formats have changed. Please refer to the corresponding record layout generated for each POS data file.
Interactive POS files are also available on http://data.cms.gov
Click here to subscribe and receive updates to the Provider of Services file.
|File Category||PRVDR_CTGRY_CD Value|
|Skilled Nursing Facility/Nursing Facility (Dually Certified)||02|
|Skilled Nursing Facility/Nursing Facility (Distinct Part)||03|
|Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)||04|
|Home Health Agency (HHA)||05|
|Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility||06|
|Portable X-Ray Supplier||07|
|Outpatient Physical Therapy/Speech Pathology||08|
|End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Facility||09|
|Nursing Facility (NF)||10|
|Intermediate Care Facility-Mentally Retarded (ICF/MR)||11|
|Rural Health Clinic||12|
|Comprehensive Outpatient Rehab Facility (CORF)||14|
|Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC)||15|
|Organ Procurement Organization||17|
|Community Mental Health Center (CMHC)||19|
|Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)||21|
|CLIA88 Laboratories added: effective 1997||22|
- CLIA data file issues alert [PDF, 20KB]
- December 2018 POS CLIA FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 37MB]
- December 2018 POS CLIA CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 32MB]
- December 2018 POS OTHER FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 17MB]
- December 2018 POS OTHER CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 14MB]
- September 2018 POS CLIA FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 39MB]
- September 2018 POS CLIA CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 33MB]
- September 2018 POS OTHER FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 17MB]
- September 2018 POS OTHER CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 14MB]
- June 2018 POS CLIA FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 38MB]
- June 2018 POS CLIA CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 33MB]
- June 2018 POS OTHER FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 17MB]
- June 2018 POS OTHER CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 14MB]
- March 2018 POS CLIA FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 38MB]
- March 2018 POS CLIA CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 33MB]
- March 2018 POS OTHER FLAT File and Layouts [ZIP, 17MB]
- March 2018 POS OTHER CSV File and Layouts [ZIP, 14MB]
- Page last Modified: 01/25/2019 10:06 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins